Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
This recipe is colorful, tasty, nutritious. What more could you want for lunch?
Tempeh Tomato Herb Sandwich [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Tempeh Tomato Herb Sandwich [Vegan]
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 8oz tempeh
- Garlic powder, ginger powder, mustard powder
- Spray oil
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 2 marigold flowers
- 2 garlic chive flower heads
- 1 sprig bronze fennel or dill
- ½ cup coarsely chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons miso
- Hot sauce (optional)
How to Prepare Tempeh Tomato Herb Sandwich [Vegan]
- The tempeh can be baked in advance, stored in the refrigerator for one week. Serve at room temperature. The spices serve as a ‘dry rub.’
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut tempeh into 8 slices
- Spray or rub olive oil on a baking sheet
- Arrange tempeh on baking sheet and sprinkle with garlic, ginger and mustard powder
- Bake for 30 min, turning once, cool
- Toast bread
- Quarter tomatoes
- Snip marigold petals with a scissor or lay flower head down on a cutting board and cut petals off
- Repeat with garlic chive flowers
- Finely chop bronze fennel or dill
- Toss petals and fennel/dill over tomatoes
- Coarsely chop basil leaves
- Spread miso on one slice of bread
- Spread vegan-mayo on the other slice of bread, top with hot sauce if desired
- Layer tempeh, herbed-tomatoes and basil on bread
Like tofu, tempeh is made from soy beans. Unlike tofu, the soy beans in tempeh are kept whole and are fermented making it one of the all time most nutritious foods. Tempeh is a mineral powerhouse providing calcium, iron, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, potassium, and copper and is 100% sodium free. It’s chunky with a nutty, slightly bitter taste. Tempeh is unfortunately greatly overlooked in America but you can purchase it at the natural foods store in the refrigerator case, usually next to the tofu. Only use home-grown flowers, or ones from a source that you know for sure are chemical free. Miso is a nutritious paste made from fermented soybeans. It‘s a traditional seasoning in Japanese cuisine. Miso is available in natural food stores in the refrigerated section. It comes in white, red and brown, the lightest color being the least salty.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?