Spanakopita is one of my all-time favorite things to eat. I wanted to try and create a healthy version of this traditional Greek dish with little to no-oil and make it vegan. Removing the feta and olive oil seems somewhat sacrilegious, it’s such a staple of the traditional recipe and Greek cooking! However, you are not even going to miss it with my version of this recipe. I have added much healthier ingredients and it is full of flavor. You will be singing me praise after you make this – trust me.
Spanakopita: Greek Spinach Pie [Vegan]
- 12 sheets phyllo dough
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15) oz can no or low sodium garbanzo beans, drained and mashed
- 2 (10) oz packages frozen cut spinach, thawed
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives, chopped
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly spray a 9×9 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, green onion, garlic and two tablespoons water. Water sauté on medium-low for 5 minutes, adding a tablespoon of water when necessary to prevent sticking, until onions are translucent.
- Add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes, or until excess water has evaporated. While spinach is cooking, add remaining lemon juice, maple syrup and flaxseed meal to a small bowl. Stir to combine, set aside and allow to thicken. Add the remaining ingredients, except the phylllo dough, and cook an additional 5 minutes on medium to medium-low heat. Remove from heat and set aside. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on the bottom of the baking dish. Lightly brush sheet with the flaxseed mixture using a small pastry brush. Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush with flaxseed mixture, and repeat process with 4 more sheets of phyllo. Spread spinach mixture into pan, then layer remaining 6 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with flaxseed mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut into squares and serve while hot.
Reheat the spanakopita in a 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 10 minutes.