Super moist, chocolaty with just a HINT of excellent beer. Guinness is a family favorite here.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Maple Whiskey Vanilla Frosting [Vegan]
- 1 bottle of Guinness Extra Stout (other kinds are NOT vegan)
- 2 sticks vegan butter
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups raw sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tb ground flax mixed with 4 Tb water
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt (or use non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 package tofu
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup raw powdered sugar
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- Vanilla seeds from 1 pod
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup agave/maple syrup (if desired)
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift all dry ingredients together, set aside. Melt butter and beer together, then stir in the rest of the wet ingredients. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together until just combined and pour into cupcakes molds, or a cupcake pan lined with papers/vegetable oil. Bake for about 20 minutes.
- While they're baking, make the frosting: blend all ingredients together in blender until smooth and thick. I fiddled with mine a lot and so ended up with a lot extra. If your frosting is too thick - add more whiskey, non-dairy milk, or liquid sweetener. If it's too thick, add more powdered sugar, tofu or vegan butter. Keep in fridge until the cupcakes are ready to decorate.
- Pipe the frosting onto each cupcake and decorate with green sparkles!