As with everything in life, I have added my embellishments. The biggest change here is to lightly roast the sweet potatoes rather than to fry them. I like the fact that this allows the sweetness of the sweet potatoes to mellow into a nice dense perfection, but avoids the oil and darkness of color that deep frying does to these recipes. While I like to serve the salad right away, it can actually be made ahead and kept for a day and served later. In fact, this allows the flavors to deepen.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Chickpea Salad [Vegan]
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 11/2 pounds)
- 5 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 red onion, cut into a fine dice
- 1-2 lemons (about 5 tablespoons juice)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spread the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the oil.
- Cook the potatoes in the oven for about 20 minutes, until soft and lightly crisped but not too brown.
- In the meantime, place the cumin and the black pepper on a small skillet and roast until it darkens and then grind to a smooth powder in a spice or coffee grinder.
- Remove the sweet potatoes and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add in the chickpeas, red onions and the powdered spices and toss well.
- Add in the remaining oil and lemon juice and mix well.
- Mix in the cilantro and serve immediately.