Though I admit it’s a very 80s kind of dessert – this recipe would also work well as a crust for fruit pizza.
Hazelnut Shortbread [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup hazelnut meal, toasted until a deep brown and cooled
- 1/4 maple sugar
- 2 tbsp. sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp. natural almond butter
- 1 tbsp. flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. almond milk
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. powdered stevia (or use a 1/2 cup sugar rather than the 1/4 cup sugar)
- dash salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly spray a 9-inch springform pan w/ oil.
- Whisk together the hazelnut meal, flower, baking powder, stevia and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the maple sugar, sunflower oil and almond butter until creamy. Stir in the flaxseed meal mixture and almond milk.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet – it’ll be a very thick dough.
- Press the dough – I used wet fingers – evenly into the pan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until baked through. Let cool and then cut into wedges.