This humble little recipe is a bit of a lifesaver for me. I've made it in so many variations – adding fruit, desiccated coconut, flavorings, and all with great success. The banana flavor is not terribly strong, so even if you’re not a fan of the fruit, you can still enjoy it. Texture wise, it’s very similar to that glorious soft serve ice cream you enjoyed as a kid. Anyway, it’s a cinch to make, tastes delightful, and best of all, you can even have it for breakfast – at least that’s what I did when I enjoyed this peanut butter and chocolate version on Sunday. I can’t think of a better way to start the day, can you?
Banana, PB, and Chocolate Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 3 frozen bananas chopped into pieces (chop it prior to freezing!)
- 1 tbsp agave or other sweetener
- 1 heaped tsp smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 small bar of dark chocolate finely chopped or grated
- blueberries and strawberries to serve
- Place the frozen banana in a hand blender and blitz until smooth – it will go through several stages before becoming creamy so just keep blending until it happens, scraping down the sides with a spatula now and then.
- Add the agave and peanut butter and blend together before stirring through the chocolate.
- Place a handful of blueberries and chopped strawberries in the bottom of a glass. Spoon over the ‘ice cream’, top with a few more berries, a little more grated chocolate and serve.