Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
This pie is rich and decadent, so a little slice will do!
Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
- 1 1/4 cups non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1 can (14-oz/415-ml) organic pumpkin pie mix
- 2 tbsp unrefined sugar
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1/8 tsp (rounded) sea salt
- 1 prepared pie crust of choice (optional – this pie is so rich, you can really make it without any crust)
- 2 tbsp non-dairy chocolate chips, optional (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220ºC). Fit a metal or glass bowl over a saucepan on medium-low heat and filled with several inches of water (or use a double-boiler).
- Add 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips to bowl and stir occasionally as water simmers (not boils), letting chocolate melt.
- While chocolate is melting, in a food processor, add pumpkin pie mix (scraping out everything from can), sugar, arrowroot powder, and salt.
- Purée until very smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Once chocolate is melted, add to food processor and purée with pumpkin mixture, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Pour mixture into pie crust (scraping out all filling) and tip pie back and forth gently to evenly distribute filling (if not using a crust, wipe/spray your pie plate with a smidgen of oil).
- Sprinkle on 2 tbsp chocolate chips. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350ºF (180ºC) and bake for another 35 minutes, until pie is set (the center may be soft, but it will set further as it cools).
- Carefully remove from oven and place on cooling rack. Let cool completely before slicing, refrigerating if desired.
Note: You can use any pie crust of choice, including a wheat-free or gluten-free crust (see Let Them Eat Vegan for both wheat-free and gluten-free pie crusts).
Recipe from eat, drink & be vegan by Dreena Burton.