I have not had this stuff in years but nonetheless I needed an easy way to recreate something similar and as comforting as the blue box stuff. I found a recipe which appeared simple enough to make, even doable when feeling lousy.
Cheesy Mac n Yeast [Vegan]
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1//3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- Cook the pasta in according to package directions. Drain well and return to the pot.
- While pasta is cooking, in a medium saucepan heat the vegan butter until melted. Add the all purpose flour and whisk. Allow to cook, whisking frequently, for a few minutes until a roux is formed.
- Add the non dairy milk, nutritional yeast, salt, tomato paste and garlic powder and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for a few minutes until sauce is nicely thickened to the consistency of cheese sauce. add the lemon juice and agave nectar and stir.
- Pour sauce over noodles and stir to incorporate.
- Serve immediately.
- Cheesy Recipes