Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Each Friday, One Green Planet brings you the week’s top news. For those who don’t have a lot of time to look through the news each day, this is will be a great resource and an easy way to catch up! Here you’ll find different categories of news, a synopsis of the top stories, and links to each article published during the week.
1. Animal rights and Welfare News
As always we had a ton of news to cover in the world of Animal rights and welfare. This week we saw happy and hopeful stories, as well as some grim and depressing ones. Some of the more notable stories included Thousands Of Dead Fish Wash Up in California’s Bay Area Amid Mass Algae Bloom, Marine Animals Found on California Beaches with Signs of Domoic Acid Poisoning, Florida Man Arrested For Dumping Dead Animals at Memorial for Victims of the Parkland School Shooting, Researchers Use AI to Decipher Animal Languages, Hong Kong Exodus Causes Huge Surge in Pet Abandonments, Pig Little Lies: Recap of Grand Finale; Can These 2 Pigs Rekindle Their Romance?, How Scientists Are Using Beavers to Help Fight Climate Change, Large Bear Wanders Through L.A. Neighborhood Visibly in Pain with Arrow Stuck in Body, Three Dolphins Released Back into Ocean After Spending Years of Captivity in Amusement Park, and Animals Sun-bask for Survival as a Physiological Response to Climate Change.
Here are the other important animal stories of the week:
- Shelter Dog With Unusual Ears Wasn’t Getting Adopted. Then He Met His New Best Friend!
- This Very Pregnant Cat Was Rescued and Now Gets to Nurse Her Newborn Babies in Safety
- This Kind Woman Found a Turkey and Bought Him Dinner [Video]
- This Rescue Rooster Thinks His Foster Mom is a Hen [Video]
- These 2-Week-Old Kittens Were Rescued Mere Hours Before Being Euthanized
- This Woman Rescued a Scared Wolf Dog, And Now He’s a TikTok Star
- 10 Lucky Animals Rescued From ‘Worst Ever Seen’ Animal Cruelty Case Are Now Loving Sanctuary Life
- Deaf Dog Falls 100 Feet Down Steep Ravine and is Rescued With ‘Not Even a Scratch’
- This Cat Was Stranded in a Tree Before She Was Saved by A Famous TikTok Rescuer
- Sheep’s Scrotum Weighed 88lbs Until This Sanctuary Took Him in and Helped Him Get That Weight Off
2. Earth and Environmental News
Source: Thomas Dutour/Shutterstock
There were numerous stories about the environment this week which gave us hope for the future and reminded us how far we still have to go. Some of the more memorable stories included Climate-Induced Water Crisis in Jackson Leaves Residents Without Reliable Drinking Water, Majority of Trash in the Great Plastic Garbage Patch Comes from Overfishing in Japan and China, New World Health Organization Report Reveals Cigarette Butts as Main Driver of Microplastic Pollution, New California Bill Could Offer $1,000 In Tax Breaks For Households Who Don’t Purchase a Car, 2023 BMW and MINI Models Will Have Vegan Interiors, California Becomes First State to Require Testing of Drinking Water for Microplastics, and This Dutch City Just Became the First in the World to Ban Meat Advertisements.
Here are the other top earth stories of the week:
- Switzerland Jumpstarts Its Renewable Energy Industry With a 900 MW Underground “Water Battery”
- From Pollution to Portraits: Ohio Professors Turn Toxic Sludge into Paint
- Russian Engineer Sentenced to 1 Year in Prison For Dumping 10,000 Gallons of Oil-Polluted Water
- Venice Encourages Tourists to Ditch Plastic Water Bottles and Use Public Drinking Fountains Instead
- The Last Ocean: Art Installation Exploring Climate Change Debuted at Burning Man
- Jason Momoa Shaves Head to Raise Awareness for Single-Use Plastic Crisis
3. Plant-Based Food News
There was plenty of excitement this week and disappointment in the world of plant-based food news, including Bride-To-Be Slammed on Reddit After Tricking Vegan Cousin into Eating Meat at Engagement Party, Daiya Launches First Ever Plant-Based Gluten-Free Flatbreads, Panda Express Announces Return of Plant-Based Orange Chicken, and How To Make Homemade Pickles.
This week in health news, we learned about the healing properties of a certain herb in our cupboards in Can Adding Oil of Oregano Drops To Your Water Boost Your Immune System? and some ingredients to watch out for in a popular food in Ingredients You Should Be Avoiding In Yogurt.
5. Human Interest Stories
Source: Al Teich/Shutterstock
This week in human interest we saw several petitions, including Petition: Demand Florida Restore Healthcare for Trans People!, Petition: Decriminalize Same-Sex Marriages in Singapore, and Petition: Stop Billionaires From Buying Political Decisions. In other news, Biden’s Top Climate Adviser Gina McCarthy is Stepping Down, Dangerous Arsenic Levels Found in Manhattan Public Housing Leaving Over 3,500 Residents Without Safe Drinking Water, and Woman With Dairy Allergy Dies After Eating Wrap That Was Labeled Vegan.
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!