Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Every Sunday, One Green Planet brings you the week’s top news. For those who don’t have a lot of time to look through the news each day, this will be a great resource and an easy way to catch up!
Here you’ll find different categories of news and links to each article published during the week! Enjoy!
Animal rights and Welfare News
Source: Tara Lynn and Co/Shutterstock
As always, we had a ton of news to cover in the world of Animal rights and welfare. This week we saw happy and hopeful stories, as well as some grim and depressing ones. Some of the more notable stories included:
- Golden Retriever Melts Hearts as He Greets Best Friend and Dad at the Airport
- How a Border Collie’s Gratitude Song Charms the Internet
- Parrot Eggs Seized At Miami Airport
- Pod of 20 Orcas Attack Ship and Shake it “Like a Nutshell”
- Participants Register For Cruel Python Challenge to Kill Invasive Burmese Pythons in the Everglades
- Video of Cat ‘Micromanaging’ Human Dad’s DIY Goes Viral
- Stay Away from Mysterious Beluga Whale, Norwegian Authorities Warn
- Heartfelt Tribute as Hilda The Rescue Sheep Passes Away
- Cat’s Reaction to Sibling Cat Balancing on Handrail Goes Viral
- Sneaky Dog Caught on Camera Stealing Treats From Kitchen Counter
- What Gorillas Teach Us About Overcoming Early-Life Trauma
- Woman Finds Rooster Dumped in a Plastic Bag Outside of a New South Wales Sanctuary
- TV Newsman Witnesses the Rare Birth of Deer Triplets In His Backyard
- Woman Adopts Cat Who Was Living in a Cage For Over 10 Years
- NYC Groomer Faces Charges in Dog’s Tragic Death
- Born Free USA Exposes the Dark Reality of ‘Thrill Killing’
- Panama Grants Sea Turtles Protection Rights
- Window Washer and Pet Cat Warm Hearts on TikTok
- Watch As This Hummingbird Mistakes a Fashionista for a Flower
- Dog’s Reaction After Trying a Strawberry Goes Viral
- Couple Adopts Cat and Realizes They Made a Mistake… They Didn’t Adopt His Brother Too, So They Went Back
- Hilarious Video of Golden Retriever Struggling to Get Up After Nap Goes Viral on TikTok
- How Animals Evolved with Bright Colors without Being Eaten
- How Birds and Their Songs Can Improve Mental Health
- Dogs Reaction to Friends Showing Up for Playdate Will Melt Your Heart
- Video of The Exact Moment Blind Deaf Dog Realizes Human is Home Will Melt Your Heart
- Watch this Dog’s Daily Ritual: Waiting for His Mail Man Best Friend
- LOL! This Golden Retriever Was Definitely a Fish in His Past Life
- Dog With Adorable Overnight Backpack Goes Viral on TikTok
- Dog’s Adorable Cuddle Routine With Her Human Will Make Your Day
- Polite Labrador’s Poolside Manners Win Over the Internet
- Man Wins Over Stray Cat in Viral TikTok Video
- Opossum’s Adorable Camouflage Surprise at Wildlife Center
- Watch How Thor the Boston Terrier Became an Indoor Pool Pup
- Genetic ‘Master Switch’ Determines Sex In Most Animals, New Research Finds
- Couple Turns Wedding into Animal Rights Protest & Documentary
- Biologists Find Litter of Mountain Lion Cubs In Southern California Hills
- Dog Creates Mess in 20 Minutes That Takes Hours to Clean Up
- Meet Duke: The Newest Member of The San Francisco International Airport Team
- Watch The Adorable Way This Cat Disrupts Their Owner’s Sleep
- Melbourne Nightclub Under Fire for Reptile Influencer Party
- Virginia Eaglet Rescued After Falling 90 Feet
- ‘Controversy Over ‘Distasteful Promotional Tweet’ From Makers of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Earth and Environmental News
Source: Michael Gordon/Shutterstock
There were numerous stories about the environment this week which gave us hope for the future and reminded us how far we still have to go. Some of the more memorable stories included:
- What is Bio-Oil? Big Tech’s Weapon Against Climate Change
- Scientists Make Liquid Fuels From Solar Power
- Supreme Court Limits EPA’s Clean Water Act Powers
- Climate Doomsday? Here’s How to Stay Positive and Take Action!
- Over 130 US and EU Lawmakers Call for Head of COP28 Talks to Be Removed
- Joe Rogan Sparks Climate Misinformation on TikTok
- Recycling Actually Releases Loads of Microplastics, Study Finds
- Report Reveals Chevron’s Carbon Offsets Largely Ineffective, Possibly Harmful
- Mushroom Coffins: An Eco-Friendly Option for the Afterlife
- AmazonFACE’s Revolutionary Step Towards Saving the Planet
- Biodegradable Plastics Don’t Actually Break Down in the Ocean, Research Finds
- New Study Finds Protecting Animals Can Help Tackle Climate Change
- Pope Francis Urges Global Shift Away from Fossil Fuels
- Indian Official Suspended After Draining Reservoir to Retrieve Phone
- Paris 2024 Olympics to Set a New Standard with Single-Use Plastic Ban
- The First Plastics Pollution Weather Forecast Predicts 88 Pounds of Microplastics Over Paris
- Venice’s Iconic Grand Canal Turns Fluorescent Green
- State Farm Halts New Home Insurance Sales in California Due to Wildfire Risks
Plant-Based Food and Health News
Source: IR Stone/Shutterstock
This week in food news, we had quite a few exciting stories!
- How a Vegan Diet Transformed This Marathon Runner’s Life
- Andrew Tate Makes Outrageous Comments About Vegans on Twitter
- NYC’s Debut Vegan Night Market in Central Park
- Turmeric Supplements: A Golden Addition to a Healthy Lifestyle?
- Medicaid Eligibility Reviews Lead to Unexpected Coverage Losses
- When It’s Safe to Drink Expired Water: The Unexpected Facts About Bottled Water Expiration
- Why You Should Avoid Freezing Plant-Based Milk
- Half of the World is Expected to be Overweight or Obese by 2035: How Plastic Food Packaging Could Be Affecting Our Health
- Penn State Dining Joins the Plant-Based Movement
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!