Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Each Friday, One Green Planet brings you the week’s top news. For those who don’t have a lot of time to look through the news each day, this is will be a great resource and an easy way to catch up! Here you’ll find different categories of news, a synopsis of the top stories, and links to each article published during the week.
1. Animal rights and Welfare News
As always we had a ton of news to cover in the world of Animal rights and welfare. This week we saw happy and hopeful stories, as well as some grim and depressing ones. Some of the more notable stories included Do Animals Dream? New Book Explores The World of Animal Consciousness, Scientific Institute Receives Major Backlash After Classifying Domestic Cats as ‘Invasive Alien Species’, South Carolina County Encourages Citizens to Kill Beavers and Bring in Their Front Paws for Compensation, Iranian Authorities Slaughter Over 1700 Dogs in Shelter Amid Ban on Pet Ownership, Tokyo Company Creates Wearable Fans for Pets Amid Record Heat, Killer Whale Nakai Died From an Infection at SeaWorld After Nearly 20 Years of Captivity, Zac Efron and Kodiak Cakes Under Fire After Using Real Life Bear in Advertisement Video, Stray: A New Video Game That Helps Real-Life Stray Cats, This Lawyer Has Dedicated His Career to Saving Dogs Ordered to be Euthanized, Fin Whales Dying in Agony After Being Harpooned With Multiple Grenades, Nearly 150 Roosters Euthanized After Police Shut Down Cockfighting Event, Pig Little Lies: World’s First Reality TV Series Starring Pigs!, Rescue Throws First Birthday Party for Rescued Research Beagles, and Over 800 Participants Gather in the Everglades to Kill Invasive Burmese Pythons.
Here are the other important animal stories of the week:
- Twin Cows Tabitha and Titus Worked Together to Escape Slaughter
- This Cat With Terminal Cancer is Living His Best Life at an Animal Rescue
- This Woman Adopted a Bee to Keep Him Company in His Final Hours
- This Pig Was Saved From a Medical Testing Laboratory and Now Enjoys Peaceful Naps in Sanctuary
- Georgia Nurse Adopts Patient’s Dog After The Woman Passed Away
- Pup Who Lost Half Her Muzzle From Gunshot Wound Finally Gets Adopted!
- Cute Piglet Finds a Best Friend After Going Through Brain Surgery
- Once a Victim of the Dairy Industry, This Chicken Was Rescued on The Side of The Highway
- This Adorable K9 Dog Goes to Work Everyday With Her Dad As a Narcotics Detection Dog
- Bunny Saved From Slaughter Now Acts Like a Dog
- 3 Rottweilers Abandoned Without Food and Left to Die Find a New Loving Home
- This Stray Cat Was Walking Around The Streets With an Injured Foot. Now He’s Being Adopted!
- 20-Pound ‘Guard Cat’ Saves Her Human from Home Burglars
- Someone Abandoned This Baby Gecko on a Doorstep
- This Kitten Was Found All Alone Hiding Behind a Garbage Bin. Watch His Amazing Rescue Transformation!
2. Earth and Environmental News
There were numerous stories about the environment this week which gave us hope for the future and reminded us how far we still have to go. Some of the more memorable stories included Drought in Mexico Leads to Dry Water Taps, Water Rationing, and Water Theft, The UN Warns Two Largest Water Reservoirs in United States ‘Dangerously Low’, Experts Warn Against Using Air Conditioners Because They Are Horrible For the Environment, Nevada Ditches Grass to Save Water Amid Climate Change, and Drought in California Causing Water Systems to Become Too Salty.
Here are the other top earth stories of the week:
- Reducing Sugar Consumption Through Taxation Could Help Fight Climate Change, New Study Finds
- Chinese Artist Fights Heavy Metal Pollution With Heavy Metal
- How the Pandemic Has Sent Energy Bills Soaring
- 99% of Sea Turtles Are Born Female As Heat Waves Sweep Across the World
- Peter Kalmus: The Climate Scientist Who Locked Himself to a JP Morgan Chase Bank
3. Plant-Based Food News
There was plenty of excitement and disappointment this week in the world of plant-based food news, including Lizzo Makes Her Way Through 10 Spicy Vegan Wings on Hot Ones, A Vegan Woman Was Tricked into Eating Meat by Boyfriend’s Family, Guess What She Did?, KFC Launches New Plant-Based Popcorn Chicken, UNLIMEAT Creates Plant-Based Deli Slices That Don’t Dry Out!, Vegan Receives One Small Water Bottle After Requesting Plant-Based Meal on Long Flight, and Whole Foods CEO Retiring and Planning to Open Plant-Based Restaurants and Wellness Centers.
4. Natural Health News
Source: Chanita Chokchaikul/Shutterstock
This week in natural health news, we learned more about the detrimental effects of consuming flesh in Chemicals Produced in Our Gut After Eating Red Meat Could Explain Increased Risk of Cardiovascular Disease, New Study Finds.
5. Human Interest Stories
This week in human interest, we saw how our environmental crisis is affecting human health in Climate Change Linked to Worsening Infectious Diseases in Humans, New Study Finds.
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!