Each Friday, One Green Planet brings you the week’s top news. For those who don’t have a lot of time to look through the news each day, this is will be a great resource and an easy way to catch up! Here you’ll find different categories of news, a synopsis of the top stories, and links to each article published during the week.
1. Animal Rights and Welfare News
Source: I T S/Shutterstock
As always we had a ton of news to cover in the world of animal rights and welfare. This week we saw happy and hopeful stories, as well as some grim and depressing ones. Some of the more notable stories included 53 Dogs and Three People Are Safe After Plane Crash onto Snowy Golf Course, Five Turtles Were Released Back to the Ocean After Decades of Captivity, Man Arrested for Locking Dog in Closet, Two Men Charged with Shooting Animals at a Safari Park in Quebec, King Charles Bans Foie Gras From All Royal Residences, Animals Can Detect Human Emotions From a Person’s Voice, New Study Finds, Community Sets Dog on Fire After He Mauled Three-Year-Old to Death, Sanctuary Conducts Study With Animals, But Only if They Volunteer, Man’s Dog is Stolen While Being Treated by Medics After Collapsing in the Street, Whole Foods Cuts ties with Maine Lobster Following Suspension of Sustainability Certification, Emaciated Sperm Whale Washes Ashore With 330 Pounds of Fishing Gear in Stomach, and The World’s Heaviest Flying Bird Uses Plants as a Form of Medication, New Study Finds.
Here are the other important animal stories of the week:
- Watch This Pup Get Emotionally Attached to a Pumpkin [Video]
- This Overused Puppy Mill Mother Finally Finds Her Forever Home
- Watch Pit Bull and Tiny Bird Playing Together in Most Heartwarming Home Video Ever!
- Cat Goes Viral For Hanging Out with Bag of Chips on His Head
- This Woman Flew Across the Country to Adopt a Bird She Felt an Instant Connection With [Video]
- This Rescue Pup’s 40-Day Transformation is Incredible!
- Meet Grumpy Cat’s Successor: Upsetty Betty
- This Dog Loves to Spend Time with Her Best Friend, Molly the Magpie
- Watch This Hilarious TikTok of a Girl Teaching Her Cat How to Use a Treadmill [Video]
- 10-Year-Old Cat Given Up by Her Family Gets Adopted into Her Dream Forever Home
- Woman Rescues Rat Used and Abused for Breeding for Years
- Dog Survives For Weeks with Plastic Feeder Stuck on His Head
2. Earth and Environmental News
Source: Sheila Fitzgerald/Shutterstock
There were numerous stories about the environment this week which gave us hope for the future and reminded us how far we still have to go. Some of the more memorable stories included California Just Released the World’s First Plan to Achieve Net Zero Carbon Pollution, PETA Announces $1M Competition to Find Vegan Wool Alternative, How Our Plastic Waste Being Recycled in Thailand is Causing a Major Public Health Problem, and New York Becomes First State to Restrict Crypto Mining.
Here are the other top earth stories of the week:
- New Research Finds Massive Carbon Footprint of Qatar World Cup and Their Failure to Successfully Offset Emissions as Promised
- TikTok Hack: How to Save Hundreds of Liters of Water Every Year [Video]
- Washing and Drying Machines Are Polluting the Air and Water More Than We Think, According to New Study
- Teens in Nigeria Turn Trash into Fashion for a ‘Trashion Show’
3. Plant-Based Food News
There were a couple of interesting and exciting stories this week in the world of plant-based food news, including Meatable’s Plan to Make “Hybrid Meat” Will Combine Lab-Grown Meat and Plant-Based Proteins and Futurevore: James Cameron Coins New Term for Vegans.
4. Life News
Source: Ground Picture/Shutterstock
This week in life news, we learned some DIY and thrifty tips in DIY Festive Water Bead Candles and Festive DIY Candle Stand Using Items From The Dollar Store.
5. Human Interest Stories
Source: Elisabeth Wegner/Shutterstock
This week in human interest, we saw several petitions, including Petition: Demand Stricter Gun Laws After Recent UVA School Shooting, Petition: Demand Strict Standards and Plans for Protecting Passengers with Wheelchairs on Flights, and Petition: Tell States to Lower Insulin Prices Like California. In other news, Kourtney Kardashian Throws Travis Barker Surprise Vegan Birthday Party.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in typical household and personal care products!