Every Sunday, One Green Planet brings you the week’s top news. For those who don’t have a lot of time to look through the news each day, this will be a great resource and an easy way to catch up!
Here you’ll find different categories of news and links to each article published during the week! Enjoy!
Animal rights and Welfare News
Source: Eliz A/Shutterstock
As always, we had a ton of news to cover in the world of Animal rights and welfare. This week we saw happy and hopeful stories, as well as some grim and depressing ones. Some of the more notable stories included:
- Internet Fascinated By The Bizarre Sound This Cat Makes
- Compassion Fatigue is a Real Challenge for Workers in Animal Testing Labs
- Meet the Endlings: Meet Famous Animals That Were the Last of Their Kind Before Going Extinct
- Man Buys Senior Dog Bed Rail After the Pup Fell Out of Bed
- Rescue Dog Extremely Cautious of New Cat Friend
- 15 Aquariums Team Up to Save Endangered Zebra Sharks from Extinction
- Exotic Animals in Japanese Cafes: The Cute and the Controversial
- Hero Dog Almost Euthanized Before Nonprofit Stepped in to Save Him
- Three-Month-Old White Tiger Cub Fighting For Life After Being Dumped in a Trash Can Outside Greek Zoo
- Paws Up for Spain’s New Animal Welfare Law!
- Shelter Dog Who Was Ignored and Called ‘Ugly’ and ‘Unadoptable’ Finally Finds Forever Home
- Reddit User Asks if Taxidermy and Bone Collecting is Vegan
- ‘I Don’t Know What To Do’: Woman’s Roommate Won’t Stop Abusing His Cat
- Jakarta’s Ban on Dog and Cat Meat Trade Marks a Victory for Animal Welfare
- The Fate of 1,000 Endangered Monkeys Hangs in the Balance: What You Can Do to Help
- FC Barcelona’s Reveals Stadium’s Animal Inhabitants
- Millions of Dead Fish Wash Up Near Australian Town: A Wake-Up Call for Climate Action
- A Victory for Chickens: California Jury Acquits Animal Rescuers in Historic Case
- Adorable Video of Husky Protecting New Kitten Goes Viral on TikTok
- Dog’s Hilarious Reaction to Human Barking Will Make Your Day
- Black Vultures Sighting in New York City Due to Climate Change
- The Deadly Lake That Turns Animals to Stone in Tanzania
- 11-Year-Old Raises Over $61,000 For Local Animal Rescues Thanks to Her Lemonade Stand
Earth and Environmental News
Source: Sergii Sobolevskyi/Shutterstock
There were numerous stories about the environment this week which gave us hope for the future and reminded us how far we still have to go. Some of the more memorable stories included:
- Climate Change Threatens Our Pancake Topping: The Impact on Maple Syrup
- EPA Finalizes New Good-Neighbor Rule to Cut Down on Harmful Smog and Pollution From Power Plants
- February 2023 Was Earth’s Fourth-Warmest February on Record
- Growing Mushrooms Next to Trees Could Feed Millions and Mitigate Climate Change, New Study Find
- Experts Warn That Rich Country’s Climate Intervention Could Backfire
- How One Company Is Turning What Would Have Been Wasted Food Into Renewable Treasure
- Researchers Discover Alarming Plastic Rocks on Remote Brazilian Island
- San Francisco Bay Area to Phase Out Natural Gas Appliances
- Texas Education Officials Want to Rewrite Climate Science in State Textbooks: What You Need to Know
- Biden to Preserve Avi Kwa Ame, Sacred Land in Nevada, as Largest National Monument Yet
- Extrapolations: New Climate Change Series Features Star-Studded Cast Including Meryl Streep, Kit Harington, and Marion Cotillard
- Florida’s Beaches Prepare For 5,000 Mile Blob of Seaweed to Deposit Rotting Goop
- Climate Change Alters Bald Eagles’ Diet, Turning Them into Farm Birds
- “World Can Still Avoid Worst of Climate Collapse with Genuine Change,” Says IPCC
- Samoa’s PM Calls for Urgent Climate Action to Save Lives and Sovereignty
- Phosphorus Pollution: Unintended Consequences of Public Water Supply Treatments and How You Can Help
- New York City Begins Preparing for Climate Change on the Lower East Side
- Judge Approves Record-Breaking $600 Million Settlement Over Flint Water Crisis
- Say “I Do” to Sustainable Fashion: David’s Bridal Launches Eco-Minded Bridal Collection
- Stella McCartney Unveils First-of-its-Kind Plant-Based Sequin Jumpsuit
Plant-Based Food News
This week in food news, we had quite a few exciting stories!
- Your Gut Microbiome Could be The Key to of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Yum! Jennifer Garner Shares Delicious Vegan Snickers Recipe
- Washington DC Proclaims MeatOut Day 2023
- Carla Hall Uses This Spice to Add a ‘Meaty’ Flavor to Vegan Dishes
- King Charles Seeks Vegan Sous Chef for Buckingham Palace
Not Your Tee By Tiny Rescue: Animal Collection
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast Fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!