Each Friday, One Green Planet brings you the week’s top news. For those who don’t have a lot of time to look through the news each day, this is will be a great resource and an easy way to catch up! Here you’ll find different categories of news, a synopsis of the top stories, and links to each article published during the week.
1. Animal Rights and Welfare News
Source: ICHIRATH PHOTO/Shutterstock
As always we had a ton of news to cover in the world of animal rights and welfare. This week we saw happy and hopeful stories, as well as some grim and depressing ones. Some of the more notable stories included China’s 28 Story Pig Farm Skyscraper Set to Slaughter Over 1M Pigs Per Year, Hadi Shrine Circus Opens With Protests From Animal Welfare Organizations, Mysterious Video Captures Sheep Walking in Circle For 12 Days, Meet Flossie: The World’s Oldest Living Cat at Nearly 27 Years Old, Farmers Stop Just in Time to Save Two Jungle Cubs Lost in Sugarcane Field, Thousands of Complaints Made Against Reality TV Show ‘I’m A Celebrity’ for Exploiting Animals, Animal Advocates in Long Island Push For Ban on Exotic Animals in Traveling Shows, Petitions Calls for Ban on Katie Price Keeping Animals After Another Animal Died in Her Care, Three Dogs Rescued From Dumpsite Reunited One Year Later For Emotional Photo Recreation, Dublin Mayor Takes Live Animals Out of Christmas Crib Over Animal Welfare Concerns, Bats Greet Each Other With Death-Metal Growls, New Study Finds, Georgia Finally Expands Restrictions on Wild Animals as Pets, How This Man Went From Hunting to Singing to Wildlife,
Here are the other important animal stories of the week:
- Watch This Baby Elephant Tickle Kenyan Journalist [Video]
- Retired Greyhound Racing Dog Is Adopted and Finally Gets the Life She Deserves
- Watch This Cat Reunite With His Human After Two Years
- Watch Adorable Pup Steal the Spotlight During Couple’s First Dance at Wedding
- The Heartbreaking Life of a Farmed Turkey [Video]
- Amazing Rescue of a Baby Goat from a Steep Mountain [Video]
- Hilarious Bird Named Grumpy Turns 50 [Video]
- Family Wanted to Put Blind and Deaf Puppy Down but She was Given a Second Chance at Life Thanks to Vet! [Video]
- Baby Tortoise Rescued After Being Found Covered in Concrete
- Hilarious TikTok of Cat Jumping and Hiding in Christmas Tree Goes Viral
- This Pup Was Saved From the Dog Meat Trade and Made an Unbelievable Transformation
- Senior Cat Finally Gets Adopted After Watching Family After Family Choose Kittens Over Her
- POV: You’re a Turkey Who is Grateful to be Safe on Thanksgiving [Video]
- Watch This Rescuer Comfort a Rescued Turkey Before Thanksgiving [Video]
2. Earth and Environmental News
Source: Matheus Obst/Shutterstock
There were numerous stories about the environment this week which gave us hope for the future and reminded us how far we still have to go. Some of the more memorable stories included New Jersey’s Plan to Kill 2.4 Million Trees to Prevent Wildfires Sparks Controversy, United Airlines and the Rise of Advanced Biofuels, Student Entrepreneur Works to Bring Free Solar to the Homeless, New Eco-Village in Copenhagen Set to Meet All 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals, Biden Administration Pledges Millions to Help Native American Tribes Threatened by Climate Change, and Air Pollution Linked to Nearly One Million Stillbirths.
Here are the other top earth stories of the week:
- New Report Reveals Growing Evidence of Forced Labor and Slavery in Clean Energy Chain
- Rishi Sunak Will Hire Vegan Meera Vadher as Head of Environmental Policy
- Greta Thunberg Sues Native Sweden over Insufficient Climate Action
- Jordan Peele Will Executive Produce Live-Action Short Film About Climate Change
- Justin Bieber Launches Clean Water Company at World Cup
3. Plant-Based Food News
Source: Garden Gourmet
There were a couple of interesting and exciting stories this week in the world of plant-based food news, including Vegan Fast Food Options For On The Go, Vegan Father Shares How Hard it Was to Find Vegan Food Options for His Kids at Disney World, and Nestle’s Plant-Based Brand Launches Vegan Foie Gras Over Growing Welfare Concerns.
4. Life News
Source: Brent Hofacker/Shutterstock
This week in life news, we learned some DIY and thrifty tips in How to Make Your Own Syrup at Home, 11 Edible Plants That Spread and Grow Like Crazy, How to Make Homemade Insect Repellent, and Does Living an Ethical Life Make You Happier?
5. Human Interest Stories
This week in human interest, we saw several petitions, including Petition: Tell the UK to Enforce Animal Protection and Animal Testing Laws Properly, Petition: Tell U.S. Customs to Stop Saving Americans’ Phone Data Without Consent, and Petition: Tell SeaWorld to Finally Send All Dolphins to Sanctuaries!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!