Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has developed a revolutionary new device that could change how we produce renewable energy – an artificial leaf! This small, playing card-sized device uses sunlight to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen, which can then be used as a clean and renewable fuel source. The artificial leaf is made from a thin film of silicon coated with catalysts that facilitate the breakdown of water molecules when exposed to sunlight. The hydrogen gas produced is collected and stored for later use while the oxygen is released back into the air.
One of the major benefits of the artificial leaf is that it produces hydrogen fuel using only natural resources – water and sunlight – which means it has the potential to be used in areas where access to traditional fuel sources is limited or non-existent. It could also help to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, which are a major contributor to Climate change. The artificial leaf can produce hydrogen fuel 24/7, as long as it has access to sunlight and water vapor, making it a potentially constant and reliable renewable energy source.
In addition to its potential to revolutionize the way we think about producing renewable energy, the artificial leaf has the added benefit of being simple and cost-effective. The thin film of silicon and catalysts used to create the device are easily obtainable. The device itself is relatively cheap to manufacture. This could make it an attractive option for individuals and communities looking to reduce their carbon footprint and move towards a more sustainable future.
The scientists at MIT are currently working on improving the efficiency of the artificial leaf, making it an even more practical and cost-effective option for producing renewable energy. While it is still in the early stages of development, the potential for the artificial leaf to play a key role in creating a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly world is exciting. As technology advances and the device’s efficiency improves, the artificial leaf could become a common and important tool in the fight against Climate change and transition to a more sustainable future.
- Goodyear Demonstrates Tire That is Made From 90% Sustainable Materials
- Stop F*ucking With the Planet! One Green Planet Launches Sustainable Fashion Brand, Tiny Rescue with Empowering Climate Collection!
- Why We Need to Switch to Sustainable Period Products
- This Wedding Planner Shared How She Made Her Wedding Glamorous Yet Sustainable
- Sustainable Alternatives to Conventional Toilet Paper
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!