Finally, Singapore has lifted the ban on sex between men, but the government has made it clear that it will not change the legal definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman. They have even gone as far as to say that they will protect the definition of marriage from being legally challenged.
Source: Bloomberg Quicktake: Now/Youtube
As great as it is for sex between men to finally be decriminalized, it won’t do much to end the discrimination that the LGBTQ+ community feels. The ruling party in the country has established a conservative society with social benefits that mainly depend on if you are married or not. If you are under 35, you can only apply for government-subsidized housing if you are married, for example.
Twenty-two LGBTQ groups in Singapore expressed disappointment with the decision, with one saying, “Such a decision will undermine the secular character of our constitution, codify further discrimination into supreme law, and tie the hands of future parliaments.”
Sign this petition to decriminalize same-sex marriages in Singapore!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Charge Two Men Who Stabbed and Abused a Shark On Camera
- Demand Increased Budget For Classroom Resources and Salaries for Teachers
- Demand the UK Keep Farmed Animals Safe From Abuse
- Stop Authorities From Euthanising An 85-Year-Old Man’s Beloved Dog
- Demand Raise in Taxes for the World’s Billionaires
- Tell Bakersfield to Create Protocol for Finding and Shutting Down Illegal Kennel Operations
- Stop Billionaires From Buying Political Decisions
- Charge Jake Paul For Driving Through Protected Beaches for Endangered Turtle Nesting!
- Demand Investigation into Cruel Abusive Goat Farm
- Demand Florida Restore Healthcare for Trans People!
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on the App Store. With over 15,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!