Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Trees are much more than just wood, leaves, needles, and roots. They are amazing beings that play a crucial role in our lives and the lives of countless animals. In his new book, “The Hidden Company That Trees Keep: Life From Treetops to Root Tips,” James Nardi offers a fascinating account of the secret world of trees and their animal companions. This book is not just for scientists or biology enthusiasts, but for anyone who wants to learn about the enduring alliances between trees and animals and how they enhance each other’s lives.
Source: BBC World Service/Youtube
As a research biologist, Nardi has been studying the mysteries of animal and plant development for years. He has a deep appreciation for the beauty of nature and the endless forms that unfold from seemingly formless cells and tissues. In his book, he explains how trees and animals interact and Support each other. For example, all trees depend on the soil and sun for nutrients and energy, and they also depend on countless interactions with their animal and microbial companions above and below ground. These companions have served trees well for eons, and losing any of them can have disastrous consequences.
One of the most fascinating topics in Nardi’s book is the chemical language that trees and animals share. When a tree is attacked or injured, it emits chemicals that attract companions that act as allies in defending the tree against herbivores. Trees have immune and signaling systems that have many parallels with our own, and predators of all sizes offer their assistance in defending trees. Parasitic insects, for instance, make up a whopping 10 percent of all animal species and can translate the chemical alarm language of trees. They are recruited to sites of injury and act as exceptional guardians and allies for trees.
This book is unique because it integrates information about groups of organisms that are typically not considered together in standard field guides. Each creature is considered in the context of its interactions with others sharing the same habitat on a tree, shaping the dynamics of life on the tree. Nardi’s book offers a singular, alien world found on trees in our towns, cities, and forests, and the accompanying illustrations give us a glimpse of this world that most of us will never encounter at close range.
Nardi is hopeful that as people learn more about trees and their secret world, they will change the way they view these amazing beings. As we learn more about the intricacies of nature’s webs, our respect and appreciation for our mutually supportive partnerships with trees and their companions will only strengthen. People love trees and the many gifts they offer to humans and animals. It is time for us to reciprocate with respect and care for our trees and their secret society.
In conclusion, Nardi’s “The Hidden Company That Trees Keep” is an eye-opening and fascinating book that sheds light on the secret world of trees and their animal companions. It is a call to action for us to restore and preserve our forests and to understand how the lives of trees and animals are intertwined. So, let’s start appreciating and caring for our trees, and the many gifts they offer to us and the animals around us.
- How Future Batteries Might Come From Trees
- New Jersey’s Plan to Kill 2.4 Million Trees to Prevent Wildfires Sparks Controversy
- Petition: Find Person Who is Cutting Down Over 750 Trees in Oregon For No Reason
- Utility Company Tries to Cut Down Pine Tree That Two Bald Eagles Nested in For Years
- Don’t Know What to Do With Your Christmas Tree? Make This Natural Cleaner! [Video]
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!