Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Lufthansa, one of Europe’s leading airlines, has recently taken a major step towards sustainability with the introduction of its ‘green fares.’ These fares include carbon offsets in the price and are available for flights throughout Europe and parts of northern Africa. The move is aimed at making air travel more eco-friendly and reducing the airline’s carbon footprint.
The green fares achieve their eco-friendly status by subsidizing Lufthansa’s purchase of more expensive sustainable aviation fuel, and by funding “high-quality climate protection projects.” While some environmental advocates have criticized carbon offsets for their perceived lack of impact, Lufthansa asserts that the projects it supports are carefully vetted to ensure maximum ecological benefit.
In addition to the built-in carbon offsets, green fares come with several benefits for travelers. In economy class, passengers can select a seat in advance and receive a checked bag as part of their fare. In both business and economy, green fares can be rebooked without paying a change fee. These added perks, coupled with the airline’s focus on sustainability, make Lufthansa an attractive choice for travelers who value eco-conscious travel.
The green fares were successfully tested last year on flights from Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. Following the positive response from customers, Lufthansa has taken the next logical step and added green fares to its fare structure for flights throughout Europe and North Africa. The fares are currently available on Lufthansa Group flights, as well as Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Swiss, Edelweiss, Eurowings Discover, and Air Dolomiti. The fares are available in both business and economy classes, with the green fares being incrementally more expensive than the base fares in either cabin.
The introduction of green fares is a significant step towards making air travel more sustainable. It is also an acknowledgment of the growing demand for eco-friendly travel options. Christina Foerster, a member of the Lufthansa Group’s executive board responsible for brand and sustainability, stated that “People don’t just want to fly and discover the world – they also want to protect it at the same time.” The move also highlights the airline’s commitment to sustainability and its understanding that as a major player in the aviation industry, it has a responsibility to reduce its carbon footprint.
As consumers, we can also play a part in reducing the environmental impact of air travel. We can opt for sustainable travel options, such as Lufthansa’s green fares, and offset our own carbon emissions. We can also reduce our overall travel footprint by opting for more eco-friendly modes of transport, such as trains or buses. By making conscious choices when we travel, we can help protect the environment and reduce our impact on the planet.
Lufthansa’s green fares are a significant step towards making air travel more sustainable. The introduction of these fares highlights the airline’s commitment to sustainability and the growing demand for eco-friendly travel options. As consumers, we can also play our part in reducing the environmental impact of air travel by opting for sustainable travel options and making conscious choices when we travel. Let’s work together to protect our planet for future generations.
- Climate Crisis Fuels New Wave of Tv ‘Eco Thrillers’
- Kal Penn Investigates Climate Crisis Solutions in New Bloomberg Docuseries
- Home Insurers Are Abandoning Vulnerable Communities Due to the Impact of Climate Change
- Heartland Institute Sends 8,000 Middle and High School Teachers Book That Denies Climate Change
- How One Curious Seal Led Scientists to a Climate Disaster
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!