In September, a four-year-old Powder Puff Chinese Crested / Maltese mix stray was dropped off at a local Washington shelter. Shelter workers noticed some hard red moles on his little body and a biopsy was conducted to determine what they were.
The test came back positive for cancer, but instead of meeting his end by a euthanasia needle, the shelter gave the stray pup (later named Edward Carter) to Motley Zoo Animal Rescue in Redmond, Washington so that he could be placed in a loving foster home until the end of his life.
Edward is still in Motley Zoo’s care as a hospice foster and continues to undergo tests and treatments. He has advanced t-cell lymphoma, stage 5, but has been given the chance to live life to the fullest thanks to his new home and his very own bucket list.
“He’s such a fun little guy, it’s so sad that he’s going, but we’re celebrating every moment of the time he’s here,” said Jme Thomas, executive director of Motley Zoo, to King 5 News. “It’s more happy than sad.”
Here are just a few items on Edward’s ever-growing bucket list:
- Take a dog yoga class
- Go to the beach
- Go skydiving
- Model in a dress-up photo shoot
- Get his own “Cancer is a Jerk” shirt
- Have a birthday party
While most of these tasks can be accomplished by Edward himself, he needs a bit of help with some others. That’s where “Flat Edward” comes in. Flat Edward is a photo paperboard cut-out of Edward that travels the world for him.
Both Edward and his cut-out have done well knocking off a number of his bucket list items including:
- Doing the morning show with Jackie and Bender of Seattle’s 106.1 Kiss FM
- Eating at Norm’s Eatery and Alehouse, a dog-friendly pub
- Car dancing with foster mom to “Tootsee” Roll by 69 Boyz
- Going fishing (Flat Edward)
- Doing a mud run (Flat Edward)
- Riding in a Ferrari (Flat Edward)
- Traveling to London (Flat Edward)
Follow Edward’s journey on his Facebook Page, and help him fulfill his bucket list by:
- Sharing his story with your family and friends.
- Suggesting bucket list items.
- Donating to his treatment fund online via Fund a Pet Miracle, PayPal, and Donate Now Button, or by mail to: Motley Zoo Animal Rescue 23316 NE Redmond- Fall City Rd #522 Redmond, WA 98053-8376.
Image source: Edward Carter’s Stairway to Heaven Facebook Page