Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The Shark Fin Sales Elimination Act was added to the annual military policy bill and is now headed for the signature of President Joe Biden. The Act comes after years of hard work from animal activists and organizations such as the Animal Welfare Institute and Oceana.
“Shark finning conjures up cruelty and wanton destruction of the medieval era,” said Wayne Pacelle, president of Animal Wellness Action, in a statement. “But it’s more of a modern evil, and the United States has determined this trade is no longer legal in our nation.”
Up to 73 million sharks have their fins cut off annually. To add insult to injury (or, in this case, death), the sharks are occasionally thrown back into the water and, since they can’t swim effectively anymore, sink to the bottom of the ocean to suffocate or bleed to death. This practice was made illegal in the United States in 2000, but individual states can still decide to import sharks who have endured this.
Check out these 7 Alarming Facts About the Shark Fin Trade!
- Authorities Investigate Florida Companies Involved in Shark Fin Trade
- Nearly 400 Illegal Shark Fins Seized From Texas Seafood Restaurant
- 7 Alarming Facts About the Shark Fin Trade
- European Citizens Demand the End of the Shark Fin Trade
- Shark Fin Sales Elimination Act Passes Senate
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!