Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
What if you had a powerful tool right at your fingertips to help you become more climate-aware and environmentally friendly? Say hello to Earth Map, a free app designed to break down barriers to information access and promote a more conscious and eco-friendly world.
Earth Map is an intuitive, user-friendly application that allows anyone with an internet connection to observe any environment at any time, with no expertise or travel required. The research behind this incredible tool was published on January 12 in the Journal of Remote Sensing. The authors emphasize the importance of putting this technology into the hands of everyday people who can make a real difference.
Lead author and researcher at the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, Carmen Morales, explains, “Earth Map allows [for the] transformation of big data into actionable information by everyone, thus democratizing the application of remotely sensed data. It enables a broader array of actors to take an active role in monitoring lands currently impacted by human activities.”
The app utilizes Earth Observation (EO) data to measure various parameters, such as temperature, rainfall, or vegetation, and monitors changes in the climate and environment over time. These parameters help gauge the effectiveness of natural resource management and reveal the long-lasting impacts of human activities on our planet.
According to Morales, “The next 10 years will be decisive to avoid catastrophic Climate change effects and mass extinctions. More than 3 quarters of Earth’s land surface is impacted by human activity.” With so much at stake, it’s crucial that countries, organizations, communities, and individuals become aware of current, past, and future land characteristics and dynamics.
Earth Map aims to introduce climate and land usage topics to a diverse audience, including policy-makers, research institutions, and curious citizens with no prior experience in environmental and climate analysis software. As the climate is heavily influenced by policies established by governing bodies, Earth Map could be the starting point for decision-makers to learn about the current state of the climate and identify meaningful policy changes to avert climate disaster.
Morales envisions Earth Map as a powerful tool for researching the world’s most pressing environmental problems and the impacts of the Climate change emergency. The app can help develop science-based policy interventions, leverage investments, and sustain livelihoods. Moreover, it will provide researchers and institutions with valuable data to further explore climate and resource management, potentially leading to a more sustainable world.
So, what can you do to contribute to this effort? It’s time to take action! Download the Earth Map app and become an everyday climate warrior. Explore the state of our planet and share this incredible tool with your friends, family, and community. Encourage local decision-makers to use Earth Map to inform their policies and create a more environmentally-friendly world.
Together, let’s harness the power of Earth Map to drive positive change and ensure a greener, more sustainable future for all!
Looking to reduce your meat intake to help the environment? Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Scotland Takes the Lead in Banning Environmentally Harmful Anesthetic
- Environmental Groups Alarmed Over Plan to Discharge Radioactive Wastewater into the Hudson River
- Dead Birds Turned into Drones for Environmental Protection
- Bill Maher Admits Flying Private and Calls Out Environmental Hypocrites
- EPA Launches $27 Billion Effort to Tackle Emissions and Environmental Injustices
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!