We really can’t believe this happened. A two-year-old Lhasa Apso was surrendered to the Maricopa County Animal Care and Control in Phoenix, Arizona. The innocent dog was covered in filthy, matted fur. Unbelievably, the dog also suffered from maggots embedded in him, eating away at a leg injury. Of course, staff wasted no time in getting the dog into urgent medical care with their clinic, all while taking down the information of the person who surrendered the dog in such heinous conditions.
Staff started to groom the dog’s knotted up fur and were shocked when the dog’s hind leg, so badly infected by the injury and from lack of circulation, FELL OFF his body during grooming.
Staff rushed him over to Dr. Steve Gilson of Pet Urgent Care, LLC for treatment. The team was able to successful amputate his leg, given there was no other option, the Maricopa County Animal Care and Control shared on Facebook.
Maricopa County Animal Care and Control also gave thanks to Two Pups Wellness Fund, a non-profit organization that provides financial aid for abused and neglected animals, who generously covered all of the dog’s medical expenses.
The dog has aptly been named Chance and will be available to adopt in about a week or two. Chance is understandably timid, but with the right human, we are sure he will blossom.
While it’s still unknown who neglected Chance, there is no way around it: this is animal abuse. Some incidents of animal cruelty go unreported because of a lack of understanding of what is considered neglect. There are signs to look out for when identifying animal abuse and neglect. It’s good to know the signs in case you ever come across an incident of animal abuse.
For more Animal, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, don’t forget to subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter!
Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please support us!
Image Source: Maricopa County Animal Care and Control/Facebook