Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro has been widely criticized for his environmental policies and lack of protection for the Amazon rainforest. Now, with a climate-focused President-elect Biden, he might face additional challenges to push through anti-environmental policies.
Source: Guardian News/Youtube
According to reporting in the Guardian, Bolsonaro said in a speech, “I recently heard a presidential candidate from a country say that if I don’t put out the fire in the Amazon he is going to raise trade barriers against Brazil. How do we deal with that? Diplomacy is not enough. When there is no more saliva then there must be gunpowder. But they have to know that we have it [the Amazon],” he said. “That’s what the world is like, nobody has what we have.”
Biden has spoken in favor of paying Bolsonaro to protect the rainforest. Deforestation has gone up since Bolsonaro took office in 2019.“The rainforests of Brazil are being torn down,” Biden said. “I would be gathering up and making sure we had the countries of the world coming up with $20 billion, and say, ‘Here’s $20 billion. Stop tearing down the forest. And if you don’t then you’re gonna have significant economic consequences.’”
Bolsonaro has yet to congratulate President-elect Biden on his election win. Biden also recently announced plans to rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement, is planning to implement 10 major climate-related executive actions, and to rejoin the World Health Organization. He and vice-president-elect Kamala Harris have also made a coronavirus advisory team.
Sign this petition if you want the Brazilian Government to stop the Amazon fires.
In 2020 alone, 3.5 million hectares have burned according to scientists. Read more about the Amazon and deforestation in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- Amazon Rainforest is Now Emitting More Carbon Dioxide than it Absorbs
- 7 Companies Working to End Deforestation
- 5 Big Causes of Deforestation and How You Can Stop It
- The Impact of Deforestation and The Importance of Trees
- These Shocking Photos of the Disappearing Amazon Because of Meat Consumption
- Amazon Is Reaching a Point of No Return Thanks to Deforestation – Here’s What You Can Do Right NOW to Save It
- Deforestation in the Amazon is Up by 29 Percent and Our Appetite for Meat is to Blame
- WOW! Photo Reveals the Shocking Link Between Animal Agriculture and Deforestation
- 10 Major Companies Responsible for Deforestation
- Walmart, Costco, Target, McDonalds and More! Companies Linked to Promoting Amazon Deforestation
- How Meat Company JBS is Destroying the Amazon
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!