The five-week total for unemployment is at 26 million, as of April 23. The coronavirus pandemic continues to harm the economy, with high unemployment and businesses scrambling for additional aid. The House is set to vote on an additional aid package worth $484 billion to help those struggling. Additional data on antibody testing was also released by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo.
The $350 billion allocated to help small businesses as part of an aid package ran dry in two weeks. Lenders reported tens of thousands of applicants ready to apply. Now, Congress is working on additional aid for businesses not helped by the first round of loans.
The Senate passed a $480 billion relief package that includes financing for small businesses. The Paycheck Protection Program, which distributes loans for small businesses, is set to receive $310 billion from the package. The House is expected to vote on it this week.
With overwhelming unemployment numbers, state governments are struggling to provide unemployment insurance with systems designed to handle a percentage of the new volume. The Pew Research Center reported that 43% of adults in the United States reported that they or a member of their household had lost a job due to the pandemic.
Governor Andrew Cuomo said New York had 1,000 people “just to take the incoming unemployment calls. That’s how high the volume is. And they still can’t keep up.”
For antibody tests, Cuomo announced that 13,000 New York residents had been tested for coronavirus antibodies and 13.9% were infected and developed an antibody to the disease. Cuomo stressed that the tests were preliminary, but that the state planned for additional testing in coming weeks.
Scientists believe that the spread of COVID-19, or coronavirus, started at an exotic animal market in Wuhan, China. You can help stop the incidence of viruses like these by signing this petition to ban the wildlife trade.
This is a good time to reconsider our intake of animal products to stay healthy. Eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
Interested in joining the dairy-free and meatless train? We highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Catch up on our latest coronavirus coverage in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- How Coronavirus and the Wildlife Trade are Linked
- Jane Goodall’s Talks about Coronavirus and the Treatment of Wild Animals
- United States Now Has Most Coronavirus Cases in the World
- Coronavirus Update: How Emerging Diseases are Linked to Factory Farms
- Coronavirus Update: Death Toll Surpasses SARS
- The Difference Between COVID-19 and the Flu
- Coronavirus Update: Quarantined Patients Given Turtles for Dinner In Spite of
- Coronavirus Update: Your Pets are Not in Danger
- China Acts on Coronavirus and Temporarily Bans Wildlife Trade
- Coronavirus Update: World Global Emissions Have Dropped
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!