Poor digestion affects 60-70 million people daily, whether due to serious digestive disorders, stress, dietary choices, health issues, or a mixture of all of the above. Though diagnosing a serious digestive disorder or dealing with the cause of minor general digestive problems can be tough, we should strive to maintain a healthy gut however possible. Knowing what foods are beneficial to your gut health and which foods to avoid is an important first step!
@thatnextlevelgirl If you are healing your gut right now then here’s some stuff to avoid ☠️ #nutritionist #guthealth #bloating ♬ That’s Not My Name – The Ting Tings
The first food to avoid is processed and cured meats. Not only are they extremely high in sodium and fat, but they often contain carcinogenic chemicals. This combination can cause extreme indigestion. The best thing you can do for your gut is to cut out meat completely and move towards whole food, plant-based diet. The animals, your body, and the environment will thank you!
Alcohol is another thing you should steer away from if you’re trying to heal your gut. It contains inflammatory properties which cause swelling in the body. When mixed with sugary and carbonated beverages, you may be more likely to experience gas and bloating. If you don’t see yourself cutting out alcohol completely, swapping it out for healthier alternatives for just two weeks can make a big difference in your gut health. You’ll give your body time to balance out the good bacteria in your stomach and lower inflammation. You can check out alcohol-free alternatives here!
You’ll also want to stay away from energy drinks and artificial sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners and additives are not recognized by the body, so they often take longer for your body to process and digest, resulting in general stomach discomfort.
With a few adjustments to your diet, you’ll be on track to heal your gut health and feel your best!
- Bloated and Uncomfortable? These 5 Plant-Based Foods Can Help!
- Bloated on a Vegan Diet? Here’s Why and How to Improve Your Digestion
- Top 10 Fiber-Rich Plant-Based Foods for Better Digestion
- 5 Simple Foods That Quickly Relieve Stomach Cramps and Aid in Digestion
- How Peppermint Oil Can Help Ease Digestion and Improve Stress
- 10 Warming Foods That Can Improve Your Digestion
- How to Use Ginger, Turmeric, and Lemon to Care for the Body Naturally
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!