Bread is a staple in many of our households. But in the U.S., it turns out that store-bought bread often contains a deadly cancer-causing ingredient: potassium bromate. UK, Canada, Brazil, and also the European Union have already banned this ingredient and it’s time that the U.S. follows suit.
Potassium bromate is a chemical additive used to make bread rise more, however, it’s putting the health of millions of people at risk. This chemical is a possible human carcinogen. According to lab tests, “animals exposed to it had increased incidences of both benign and malignant tumors in the thyroid and peritoneum,” says EWG. Carcinogens begin by damaging DNA and over time, cumulative gene mutations can lead to uncontrolled cell growth and subsequent formation of a tumor, adds McGill.
Source: Kemosabe’s Knowledge/Youtube
Even with increasing scientific evidence that this food additive can be potentially harmful to human health, it’s still legal for use in food sold in the U.S. Considering that bread can easily be made without potassium bromate, why should our health be put at risk? Sign this petition to tell the FDA that they must follow the ample science on potassium bromate, and ban its use in food now.
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Save These Animals From Slowly Suffocating to Death in These Three States
- Reject Bill That Would Ban Women From Traveling Out Of State For Abortions
- Stop People From “Listing” Adopted and Fostered Children on Facebook
- Investigate Ivanka Trump for perjury!
- Support the British Transport Workers’ Strike
- Tell Putin to Halt The Use of Marine Mammals In Acts of War
- Demand Florida Commit to Installing Air conditioning In All of Its Prisons
- Kick Out Republicans Promoting White Supremacist Ideology
- Demand Lifetime Animal Ownership Ban on Woman Who Set a Conscious Dog on Fire
- Curb The Escalation of Violence By Animal Abusers
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to theOne Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!