The FDA sent a warning letter to consumers about hand sanitizers. It urges Americans that hand sanitizer manufactured by Eskbiochem may be toxic.
Due to an ingredient, methanol (wood alcohol), which can be toxic if absorbed through the skin or ingested, the FDA is asking people to stay away. The FDA does recommend hand sanitizers with at least 60% ethanol if you cannot wash hands with soap and water.
If you’ve been exposed to a hand sanitizer with methanol in it, seek medical treatment immediately. According to the CDC, methanol is manufactured as a solvent, pesticide, and alternative fuel. It should not be used on skin or ingested. If you have a hand sanitizer that contains this ingredient, call hazardous waste control in your city to remove it for you.
The FDA released this list of sanitizers containing methanol:
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)
According to the FDA, “Substantial methanol exposure can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death.”
Read more about handwashing and sanitizing in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- How to Make Your Own Chemical-Free DIY Hand Sanitizer
- The Best Natural Hand Soaps
- How to Make Your Own Natural Liquid Hand Soap
- 10 Natural Bacteria and Microbiome Boosting Hand Moisturizers and Balms for Overwashed Skin
- 4 Fun and Educational Ways to Teach Kids How Germs Spread
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.