Diets high in fat and low in carbohydrates have been shown to help people lose weight. Popularly called the Keto Diet, many people turn to this diet to help with a variety of needs. But meat-heavy keto diets might lead to heart problems.
But a new study from National Jewish Health researchers found that a keto diet could contribute to cardiovascular risk. The study notes, “These diets also allow consumption of foods that are known to increase cardiovascular risk and are unlikely to be as effective at preventing heart disease as well-established nutritional guidelines currently recommended by health experts.”
Dr. Andrew Freeman, director of cardiovascular prevention and wellness at National Jewish Health and co-author of the study stressed that the diet wasn’t healthy in the long term. Because eating large amounts of fat over a long period means an excess of saturated fats, which isn’t good for cardiovascular health. The diet could “lead to stiffening of the arteries, and several studies found that those who eat a keto diet have a greater risk of death.”
Source: National Jewish Health/Youtube
- 15 Plant-Based Keto Recipes
- The Keto Diet for Plant-Based Dieters
- Vegan Keto Meals
- 5 Plant-Based Foods to Aid Weight Loss
- 15 Easy Vegan Ketotarian Recipes!
- 10 Keto-Friendly Low Carb Vegetables You Need to Know About
- Breaking Down the Ketogenic Diet for Plant-Based Dieters
- Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner The Vegan Keto Way
- 10 Tasty Vegan Keto Snacks You Can Order Online!
- The Cancer-Fighting Properties of a Plant-Based Keto Diet
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!