When it comes to healthcare, many people opt for traditional medicine, but one cardiologist in Houston, Dr. Baxter Montgomery, believes natural healing is equally important. At his clinic, Montgomery Heart & Wellness, he uses food and wellness practices to treat heart disease, kidney failure, and inflammatory diseases.
With patients often arriving in the advanced stages of illness, Dr. Montgomery has turned to natural modalities, such as infrared sauna therapy and infusion therapy, to complement his patients’ treatments. However, the most significant change he makes among his patients is their diet, which includes a vegan approach.
At Montgomery Heart & Wellness, there’s a kitchen dedicated to preparing, selling, and serving all vegan foods, which Dr. Montgomery believes is critical in managing patients’ nutritional needs. He also emphasizes consuming meals as close to their raw form as possible.
“It’s not enough to say that it’s vegan. You have to understand how it’s prepared because I have lots of patients who say, ‘I’m on the vegan diet, I’m not on salt and sugar, etc.’ But then they’re microwaving their food, they’re cooking most of it, and so those are the types of things that take away from the nutritional value,” Dr. Montgomery explained.
Dr. Montgomery’s program has proven successful, with former elite athletes with chronic conditions showing marked improvement. He recently produced a docuseries called “The Heart and Soul of a Champion,” which features NFL Hall of Famer Darrell Green and other patients who’ve benefited from Dr. Montgomery’s approach.
Green admits that he was only interested in regaining his prime athletic abilities and didn’t believe his health was in poor condition. However, after visiting Dr. Montgomery, he discovered his blood pressure was 191/114, highlighting underlying health issues.
“It’s a program that if you follow it, I think it works. Well, I don’t think it works. I know it works,” Green said.
Dr. Montgomery’s goal is to help people regain their health and wellness, not necessarily achieve elite athleticism. He believes that by following his programs, sick individuals can become well again.
“You may start with medication, or perhaps you get a procedure or maybe not, but we can get you on a course of health and wellness to where you’re climbing mountains and competing at a level you were when you were much younger. That, I think, is what people want!” Dr. Montgomery said.
Dr. Montgomery’s approach is a great example of how our lifestyle and dietary choices can positively impact our health. The foods we eat play a crucial role in our overall health, and a plant-based diet can have a profound impact on preventing and reversing chronic diseases.
Incorporating more plant-based meals into your diet is a simple way to improve your health and reduce your environmental footprint. By choosing to eat plant-based meals, you can help reduce the impact of animal agriculture on our planet, which is a significant contributor to greenhouse gas emissions.
So why not take a step towards improving your health and the planet by incorporating more plant-based meals into your diet? Your body and the planet will thank you!
- Lifestyle or Genetics: Which is More Important for Heart Health?
- The Many Benefits of Cherries for Your Heart Health, Weight, and More!
- 15 Heart Healthy Noodle Recipes
- 10 Vegan Red Clover Supplements to Boost Bone and Heart Health
- How Processed Foods Impact Heart Health
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.