Detox is one word that we see and hear everywhere. It is something we tend to do when we’ve eaten a bit too much at Christmas or had one too many drinks during the weekend. But, why is detoxing so important? Detoxification removes the build-up of toxins in our systems that could be draining our energy, leading to poor digestion, causing allergies, and, potentially leading to life-threatening diseases.
By detoxing our bodies with healthy, plant-based foods, our bodies become more alkaline as opposed to having an acidic pH from unhealthy diet and lifestyle choices. Why alkaline? Well, disease does not exist in an alkaline body. And, by detoxing and achieving an alkaline pH, you will notice that you have more energy, have an improved digestion, and have a clearer complexion.
We don’t have to sign up for hundred dollar juice cleanses to ‘detox.’ We can detox it ourselves by simply cutting out acidic foods from our diet and replacing them with alkalizing plant-based foods. Start by cutting out processed foods, sodas, artificial sweeteners, chips, candy, bread, meat, dairy and, alcohol. Then, we should add a variety of plant-based, nutritious foods into our diets. See these tips for Green Monster ways to detox.
1. Hot Lemon Water
As well as being a refreshing way to start your day, hot lemon water comes with a range of health-boosting benefits. Although lemons have an acidic taste, they are incredibly alkalizing. Why don’t you start detoxing by drinking the juice of one fresh lemon with tepid water. The hot water will stimulate your bowels, pushing out all of the toxins out of your body.
Eating carrots is a phenomenal way of clearing toxins out of our bloodstreams and neutralizing the acidity in our bodies. Grate a carrot into your salad, throw carrots in to your juices and smoothies, and add roughly chopped carrots into stir fries and salads. Try this Carrot Coconut Salad; you will LOVE the nourishing flavor combinations, or check out this amazing carrot juice recipe.
Probiotics are essentially good bacteria which boost our digestive health and help detoxify remnants of undigested, unhealthy food, environmental pollutants, and everyday toxins out of the system. Probiotics help break down and remove waste products from the digestive system, which ultimately prevents toxicity from entering the bloodstream. Take them as a supplement or try these 10 Easy Ways to Get Probiotics on a Plant-Based Diet.
4. Burdock Root
As the liver and kidneys work hard to filter out impurities which we ingest, we need to eat a range of foods that provide them with energy and nutrients to aid the cleansing of toxic waste. Burdock root is one of them. In addition to boosting detoxification, burdock root helps protect cells from damaging toxins. Drink burdock root in a tea or take in a daily supplement!
Ginger is amazing at flushing toxins from the system, especially the liver. If you drank too much, or had a weekend where you may have eaten too much comfort food, then ginger could be your ticket to feeling great. Try grating a knob of fresh ginger and stewing in hot water for 10 minutes, and drink away!
6. Flax Seeds
Source: Catalina M/Shutterstock
As a brilliant source of fiber, flax seeds support the digestive system by providing insoluble fiber, which expels waste and toxins out through the digestion system. Sprinkle flax seeds onto your morning granola or smoothies; use ground flax seeds and make these Raw Hemp Chia Seed Bars, and use flax to make a Raw Vegan Pizza with Red Pepper Flax Crust.
For those of you who are familiar with Kombucha, you know how amazing it is for your health! It is jam-packed with probiotics, aids the detoxification of the liver, balances our pH levels, and increases our metabolism. Learn How to Make Kombucha with our simple guide!
With a high water content of 95 percent, eating a lot of cucumber is an easy way to keeping hydrated. Keeping our cells hydrated will allow them to fully function and detox the system from toxins. Try this alkalizing Baked Falafel and Cucumber Noodle Salad With Mint-Tahini Dressing, this Basil Cucumber Salad, and this Spicy Asian Cucumber Avocado Onion Salad.
9. Coconut Water
Source: Carla Castro/Shutterstock
Coconut water replaces electrolytes that are lost through physical activity. Electrolytes rehydrate your lost fluids as well, providing the body with essential minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and potassium. It is also super alkalizing, too. Enjoy coconut water on its own or add to your smoothies!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Fasting and juice cleanses definitely produce results but I wouldn\’t recommend them. They\’re really only quick, temporary fixes and can actually cause more damage than good in the long run. If you\’re serious about detoxing, the only cleanse I would recommend is The Total Wellness Cleanse. It\’s a comprehensive 30 day plan developed by a certified holistic nutritionist based on whole foods and healthy eating habits and includes tons of valuable info on digestion and cleansing, full support to answer questions and concerns and complete instructions to guide you through the 30 plan and beyond. This program is about lifestyle changes…not a quick fix…and is definitely worth checking out for anyone interested in exploring the true health benefits of cleansing in more detail. You can see the page here:
Or get more info here:
I question the suggestion to sprinkle flax seeds onto food. I have been told our bodies can only digest them when they have been ground
<a href="https://outlooktechsupport.org/">Outlook Tech Support</a> GREAT POST, I like your post.