The popular new documentary “The Game Changers,” is highlighting the benefits of plant-based living. The film follows James Wilks, a Special Forces trainer and the Ultimate Fighter winner, as he searches for diets that benefit his training needs.
The message from the film touts the health benefits of a vegan diet. As the documentary moves along, it interviews Scott Jurek, Kendrick Farris and Dotsie Bausch about their vegan diets and how it has influenced their training for the better. The film’s message focuses on maximizing athletic performance with a plant-based diet.
Critics are calling out the film for picking and choosing science to show in the film. And they say it shows an extreme version of a lifestyle and that Game Changers is pushing a vegan diet over all other diets.
Of course a vegan diet can include processed foods that aren’t made for optimal performance. Sports nutritionist Barbara Lewin told Healthline that in order for a vegan diet to be healthy, it must be well-rounded. “If you’re living on crackers, vegan cheese, and other processed foods, it’s not a good choice. For a vegan diet to be healthy and to work for the elite athlete, it has to have a strong foundation in vegetables and fruits, legumes, whole grains, nuts, and seeds,” says Lewin.
Any increase in plant-based eating will improve your health and the planet. For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, plant-based, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce you get healthy and strong!
In response to questions about plant-based eating, David Nieman, DrPH, FACSM, a professor of health and exercise science and director of the Human Performance Laboratory at Appalachian State University in North Carolina, told Healthline of the plant-based diet, “Plant-based dietary choices are at the heart of all healthy eating patterns.”
Curious about other ways to get enough protein on a vegan diet? Check out the following resources:
- 25 Delicious Vegan Sources of Protein (The Ultimate Guide!)
- Sample Meal Plans for the Female Vegan Athlete
- 5 Plant-Based Foods that Will Help You Build Muscle
- 5 Clean Muscle-Building Foods for Athletes That Are All-Vegan
- 15 Clean, Vegan Protein Powders That Prove Protein is Way Better Without Whey
- Athletic Performance Problems That Can be Helped by Eating Plant-Based
- 10 Must-Read Articles For Plant-Based Athletes
- 5 Plant-Based Athletes That Blow the Protein Myth Out of the Water
- Plant-Based Weekly Meal Plan By Diet: ENDURANCE ATHLETE MENU
- Common Benefits Athletes Experience When Switching to a Vegan Diet
- What Do Vegan Athletes Eat?
- An Endurance Athletes Guide to Preparing and Eating Vegan Food
- The Ultimate Guide to Being a Vegan Athlete!
- 10 Tips on Eating Plant-Strong for Athletic Performance
- 10 Amazing Athletes that Eat Plant-Powered for Performance
- The Best Fitness Aids for Plant-Based Athletes
- How to Make Your Own Energy Gels For Endurance Athletics
- Eating for Endurance: 15 High Carb, High Protein Products to Fuel Your Workout
- 15 Protein-Packed Vegan Recipes That Feature Beans, Chickpeas, Lentils, and More Pulses!
- 15 Easy High-Protein Tofu Recipes That are So(y) Tasty!
- Anti-Inflammatory Herbs and Spices for Athletes
- Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods for the Vegan Athlete
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects. Learn about some Common Health Concerns That May Disappear Once You Ditch Dairy and 10 Calcium Supplements For Healthy Living on a Dairy-Free and 10 Carrageenan-Free Non-Dairy Products!
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.