One industry exempt from California’s shelter in place order? Agriculture. Deemed an “essential service,” many counties have significant agricultural processing plants that are still working during coronavirus shutdowns.
Concerns over farmworkers’ livelihoods and social safety nets have grown during this time. Farmworkers are already one of California’s “most marginalized populations,” and they are being asked to work while many shelter in place.
Freddy Urbano, a farmworker at Underwood Family Farms, told the Ventura County star that he’s worried about coronavirus, ” The worry is about all the people in the house, because if one person even not in my family got sick it could infect us.”
While farms can take steps to protect workers while they’re on the job, they cannot help with social distancing and other rules at home. Many farmworkers experience over crowded housing conditions, with three to four families living in single-family homes.
In an opinion article by Antonio De Loera-Brust, he argues that farmworkers must receive protection from the government, both medical and labor provisions. Many farmworkers struggle with poverty and lack of healthcare. He argues that farmworkers are crucial to the food supply we depend on and should have paths to citizenship, as well as labor protections.
“Our food supply is critical, and agriculture and agricultural workers are a critical component of that. We are looking at the work that is being done by farmers, farmworkers, transportation and packinghouses as essential functions,” said Ventura County agricultural commissioner Ed Williams. He’s working with farms and advocacy groups to keep protections for workers strong during uncertain times.
Scientists believe that the spread of COVID-19, or coronavirus, started at an exotic animal market in Wuhan, China. You can help stop the incidence of viruses like these by signing this petition to ban the wildlife trade.
Eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
Interested in joining the dairy-free and meatless train? We highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Catch up on our coronavirus coverage in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- China Acts on Coronavirus and Temporarily Bans Wildlife Trade
- Coronavirus Update: Chinese Citizens Begin Disposing of Pets, Footage of Corpses Lining Street
- Coronavirus Update: Indonesians Called to Stop Eating Bats and Animal Activists Saving Pets in China
- Coronavirus Update: World Global Emissions Have Dropped
- How Coronavirus and the Wildlife Trade are Linked
- Coronavirus Update: How Emerging Diseases are Linked to Factory Farms
- Coronavirus Update: Death Toll Surpasses SARS
- Coronavirus Update: Quarantined Patients Given Turtles for Dinner In Spite of Virus Being Linked to Wild Animal Trade!
- Coronavirus Update: Pangolins Blamed for Spreading Virus
- Chinese Citizens Being Ordered to Dispose of Pets Despite Any Connection with Coronavirus Outbreak
- Coronavirus Update: Your Pets are Not in Danger
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!