Darren McQueen has been on quite a journey. His weight was almost 400 pounds when the doctor told him he needed a lifestyle change, stat. Borderline diabetic with high blood pressure, he knew he needed a change. Enter, a plant-based diet.
Canadian McQueen told the Daily Hive, “This is for life, I never wanna go back, go through this shit again. It was so tough, I’ve worked way too hard. My life now is so amazing. I used to have pain in my knees, my back. Now I’m pain-free and have this energy that wants me wanting more! I’m so living my best life now and I’m happy. But you can’t stop I’ve got to keep setting goals and moving forward.”
See the before and after photos on Darren’s Instagram
He hit another milestone when he completed an ultra-marathon in British Columbia earlier this year. The five-hour race showed him, as he said, “The body is capable of anything.” McQueen credits those around him with helping him stick to his change. As for tips for others, he says, “Start small. Make health and wellness a way of life. Fill your circle with those who will push and drive you. Find those who inspire you. Remember you only lose when you quit.”
Here’s Darren finishing the ultra marathon, shown on his Instagram
Way to go Darren! If you are interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, plant-based, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Plant-Based Diet and Digestion
- Plant-Based Diet and Gut Health
- Plant-Based Diet and Allergies
- Plant-Based Diet and Heart-Health
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
- 25 Delicious Vegan Sources of Protein (The Ultimate Guide!)
- 5 Plant-Based Foods that Will Help You Build Muscle
- 10 Must-Read Articles For Plant-Based Athletes
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!