Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Sovereignty Company is launching sustainable fashion brand SO.TY with funding for BIPOC sustainable fashion brands. Sovereignty Company is a sustainable circular social enterprise and nonprofit working to empower fashion entrepreneurs of color to solve Climate change and inclusion challenges together.
The company is working to bridge the gap between creators of color, leadership, and innovators at companies and policy. They also hope to create climate-neutral solutions for the fashion industry as a whole.
SO.TY brand will specialize in reusable materials to create staple wardrobe pieces. Charles Harbison, a well-known creative director for the modern luxury lifestyle and consumer product market, will join the company as the chief fashion director for SO.TY.
Harbison has dressed celebrities including Beyonce, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Ava Duvernay and even designed and directed sustainable lines for Emanuel Ungaro in London, Cult Gaia, the Nicholas label, and Banana Republic.
“Fashion makes up a huge part of the waste in our landfills, which impacts the environment in detrimental ways,” said Harbison.
“We have tools to create sustainable models through slow and neo luxe fashion movements that uphold high-end fashion aesthetics,” he continues. “Sovereignty, and SO.TY is working to be at the forefront of democratizing access to the next wave in sustainable design.”
We need to preserve our planet! 13 million tons of clothes end up in our landfills, and fast fashion has changed the way that we think about clothes. It’s always best to recycle clothes and go to second-hand or thrift stores when looking for new clothing. The recent boom in secondhand clothing is reducing fashion’s impact on the planet and showing that secondhand shoppers are eco-conscious and savvy, not just “hipsters”!
- 10 Fashion Brands That are Helping the Environment
- Your Guide to Cruelty-Free Clothing
- Fashion is the 2nd Largest Water Polluter in the World! How to Reduce Your Clothing Footprint
- Look Great: Your Guide to Vegan-Friendly Shopping
- Kanye Talks About Making his Clothing Brand Yeezy Eco-Friendly
- How to Recycle Clothes
- 8 Creative DIY Ideas for Old Clothes
- 13 Million Tons of Clothes Are Filling Up Our Landfills
- How to Repurpose, Recycle, or Resell Old Shoes
- How to Repurpose, Recycle, and Reuse Old Mattresses
- How to Repurpose, Recycle, and Reuse Old Chairs
- How to Recycle Wrapping Paper and Greeting Cards
- How Shopping Waste-Free is Better for Your Health and the Planet – Plus 3 Easy Tips to Help You Do it
- 6 Sustainable Fashion Tips for Your Winter Wardrobe
- 5 Amazingly Innovative Sustainable Fashion Designers
- Taylor Swift and Stella McCartney Launch Sustainable Fashion Line
- Sea Shepherd’s Awesome New Plan to Turn Ocean Plastic Into Sustainable Fashion
- Urban Outfitters Partners with Della to Offer a Sustainable Fashion Line
- Emma Watson, Star of ‘Beauty and the Beast’ Embraces Sustainable, Vegan Fashion
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!