A new study backed by the World Health Organization (WHO) has shown just how effective tactics like social distancing, face masks, and eye protection are against the spread of coronavirus.

The study found that keeping a distance of at least 3 feet from other people lowered the chances of coronavirus spread by 82%. Six feet distance could be even more effective.

When wearing a mask, the chance of infection was 3% and without a mask is 17%. This means that wearing a mask reduces your chance of infection by more than 80%. For healthcare workers wearing an N95 mask, the N95 was shown to be 96% effective at protecting workers.

“Physical distancing likely results in a large reduction of COVID-19,” said lead author Holger Schünemann, “Although the direct evidence is limited, the use of masks in the community provides protection, and possibly N95 or similar respirators worn by health-care workers suggest greater protection than other face masks. Availability and feasibility and other contextual factors will probably influence recommendations that organizations develop about their use. Eye protection may provide additional benefits.”

The scientific lead of the study Derek Chu, added, “However, although distancing, face masks, and eye protection were each highly protective, none made individuals totally impervious from infection and so, basic measures such as hand hygiene are also essential to curtail the current COVID-19 pandemic and future waves.”

Read more about protecting yourself from coronavirus. Check the CDC website for more information on how to protect yourself and check our latest article to learn how COVID-19 differs from the flu.

Sign this petition to Make Testing and Treatment For Coronavirus Free to Ensure Containment!

 

It’s time to consider reducing our intake of meat products. Eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.

Interested in joining the dairy-free and meatless train? We highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals, and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.

For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!