Owning a firearm makes an abuser five times more likely to kill their partner. Every 16 hours in the United States, someone is shot and killed by their partner or former partner. Luckily, convicted domestic abusers are not allowed to own a gun. However, this only applies if they have been married to the victim, live with the victim, have a child together, or are a victim’s parent or guardian. This, which many call the “boyfriend loophole,” allows all other convicted domestic abusers, including stalkers and current/former dating partners, to own guns.
Source: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert/Youtube
This loophole allows thousands of abusers to have access to guns. 33 states have taken steps to close the loophole, but this should become a federal law to protect victims across the entire country! Recently Congress updated the Violence Against Women Act, and it’s time that they do it again. The new version includes protections for American, transgender, and immigrant women but is still too narrow and leaves too many people at risk. Sign this petition to urge Congress to update the Violence Against Women Act and protect victims!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Shut Down This Deadly Racetrack Before More Horses Die
- Demand Animal COVID-19 Vaccinations for Eligible Zoo Animals
- Tell Mississippi to End Blatantly Racist Voting Restrictions
- Demand Shein Remove All Lead From Its Products
- Tell Nestle to Get Clean Water to Jackson, Mississippi
- Tell Congress to Make Corporal Punishment Illegal in All Schools Across the U.S.
- Demand Canada Make it Illegal to Hunt with Lead Bullets
- Stop Authorities From Euthanising An 85-Year-Old Man’s Beloved Dog
- Demand Increased Budget For Classroom Resources and Salaries for Teachers
- Stop Billionaires From Buying Political Decisions
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on the App Store. With over 20,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!