Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
A new bill proposed by Tennessee state republican Tom Leatherwood would eliminate the current age requirement for marriage and enable alternative forms of marriage to those who conscientiously object to the current pathway to marriage. In other words, this bill would legalize the marriage of adults to children.
Removing the age restriction on marriage provides predators with a convenient way to escape repercussions for statutory rape and makes teens even more vulnerable to coercion and sexual abuse from older adults.
If the bill ultimately passes, it would likely lead to a 14th amendment court challenge. We have no age limit in this legislation, and that’s very much a problem, said Rep. Harris.
“It’s ugly enough Republicans are advancing an unconstitutional bill to undermine marriage equality, but the fact that this bill reopens the debate on child marriage is outrageous”, added Memphis State Senator Raumesh Akbari.
Sign this petition to tell Tennessee lawmakers to vote NO on the bill to remove the age limits on marriage!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- End Elephant Exploitation and Abuse in Thailand
- Investigate Jared Kushner for shady investments from the Saudis
- Stop Organized Stalking and Electronic Harassment
- Demand Free Menstrual Products in Public Schools
- Leave 199-year-old Historic Bailey Park Alone
- Repeal the Order Declaring April Confederate History Month
- Justice for Patrick Lyoya, Murdered by a Grand Rapids Police
- Tell Seaside Aquarium to Give These Seals to a Sanctuary
- Pass Law Limiting the Number of Pets in a Given Family
- Urge Facebook to Enforce its Policies to End Wildlife Trafficking
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!