Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Recently, a Mississippi Appeals Court purposefully decided to keep a racist, Jim Crow-era voting restriction in the state’s constitution. The restriction keeps people that are convicted of felonies from being allowed to exercise their right to vote along with the rest of the state.
This law has racist and white supremacist origins. The law was first introduced in 1890 and was placed to make sure that Black people in the South did not get all of the gains of the Civil War and Reconstruction. The ruling explicitly noted that they created the restriction to punish those who were convicted of “black crimes” while white criminals were allowed to keep their voting power.
Research has proven over decades that people of color, especially Black people, are incarcerated at higher rates because of racist policing and criminalization of Blackness. This voting restriction disproportionately affects Black people, and there is no reason that this should be a law. Mississippi is one of the only three remaining states that have a lifelong ban on voting for people convicted of certain felonies.
Sign this petition to demand Mississippi lawmakers pass a new law to allow people to have the right to vote!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Tell Florida Hotels to Allow Hurricane Victims to Bring Their Pets to Stay
- Demand Animal Cruelty Charge For Montana Woman Who Shot and Skinned a Dog
- Tell Austalia that Kangaroos are Not Pets
- Demand Investigation into Gainsville PD After K9 Ripped Out Black Man’s Eye During Traffic Stop
- Fire Officers Who Arrested a Black Man For Watering His Neighbor’s Flowers
- Demand Justice For Woman Who Was Handcuffed in a Parked Car on Train Tracks and Was Hit by a Train
- Demand Universal Meals Programs for Children Across the United States
- Demand Iran Drop the Death Penalty and Free LGBTQ+ Activists
- Suspend Environment Harming Cattle Ranching on U.S. Public Lands and National Parks
- Investigate Dr. Oz for Medical Scams
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!