In over half the country, it’s legal for prosecutors to charge women who miscarry with manslaughter. People were outraged when Brittney Poolaw, a 21-year-old member of the Comanche Nation in Oklahoma, was charged and convicted after miscarrying her four-month-old pregnancy. However, she was not the only one. At least 21 people across the U.S. have been arrested for self-managing an abortion or helping someone who self-managed an abortion, says Slate. Hundreds more have been arrested for undergoing miscarriages.
Source: The Young Turks/Youtube
This year alone, state legislators have introduced nearly 600 abortion restrictions, with more than 90 becoming law, according to Planned Parenthood. Without the protections provided by Roe v. Wade, many states will continue to pass laws worsening the national crisis of incarceration of women seeking abortions. Sign this petition to Tell states to stop imprisoning women who miscarry!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Demand Rozie’s Zoo Be Shut Down Before More of her Babies Die
- Demand action against climate change
- Ban this Cancer-Causing Bread Ingredient
- Invest in the Ethical Training of COVID-Sniffing Dogs
- Stop Drilling in Scott Reef, Australia
- Demand that Canada end gruesome seal hunt
- Urge the Indian Government to punish animal cruelty
- Demand an end to abusive Horse “blood farms” in Iceland
- Rescue an abused and captive lion who had his teeth ripped out
- Stand up for the human rights of women in Turkey
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!