COVID cases have fueled the worst blood shortage in more than a decade, and yet multiple members of LGBTQ+ communities are still banned from donating blood. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tests all blood donations for infectious disease pathogens such as HIV and Hepatitis C, and according to The American Red Cross, the estimated risk of getting an HIV-positive blood donation is 1 in 1.5 million for U.S. patients. “One LGBTQ+ advocate, Jay Franzone, remained abstinent for a year just so he could donate blood in January 2017,” reports advocacy. The policy continues to restrict and categorically single out the LGBTQ+ community and is just plain discriminatory.
Source: ABC News/Youtube
Amid a national blood shortage, it is more important than ever to change the outrageous policy. Safety technology and blood screening have advanced well past the science of time-based restrictions– now, the only thing that is standing in the way of change is pure bigotry. Sign this petition to add your name to call for an end to the discriminatory policy that prevents gay and bisexual men, as well as others in the LGBTQ+ community, from giving blood!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Elephants Shouldn’t Be Taught to Perform Unhealthy Tricks
- Ban the Yulin Dog Meat Festival Once and For All
- Tell Harvard to return human remains to the communities they belong to
- Demand America’s prosecutors refuse to prosecute abortions
- Stop McConnell’s ploy to deny school meals to millions of hungry kids
- Hold Verizon and AT&T accountable for pretending to be LGBTQ+ Allies
- Expel Ron Johnson for trying to overturn the election with fake Trump electors
- End the Annual Canadian Seal Hunt
- Save the Trout and Salmon Population in Scotland
- Free Happy the elephant From Her ‘One-Acre Prison’
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!