Tragically, Texas effectively banned abortion starting September 1st, 2021, signed into law by Texas Governor Greg Abbott. Bill S.B. 8 bans virtually all abortions after 6 weeks. Since most people don’t always realize they are pregnant until after six weeks, the majority of people seeking abortions in Texas were unable to get the procedure. Texas’ law makes no exception for victims of rape or incest, says NPR. The only exception to the ban was to save the life of the pregnant person if a medical crisis appeared.
This law will result in higher numbers of unsafe abortions and forced pregnancies. This is a devastating move that will put vulnerable people in even more danger and leave them with even fewer choices. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), expressed their concerns “when they. said, “Access to almost all abortion has just been cut off for millions of people” and described the law as “blatantly unconstitutional”.
Source: NBC News/Youtube
President Joe Biden also denounced the bill as “extreme”, warning it would “significantly impair” access to abortion care, particularly for low-income Texans and racial minorities, says BBC News. Sign this petition to tell the Texas Legislature to do what’s right for their people and repeal this law now!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Protect Eastern Indigo Snakes
- Protect Birds from Crashing into Windows
- Urge Authorities to Find Animal Abusers in the UK
- Ban Duck Hunting in Victoria
- Justice for Dog Thrown Out of a Moving Car
- Urge Florida to Recommend Children get Vaccinated
- Call on Amazon to Become Carbon Neutral
- Demand Congress Protect North Atlantic Right Whales from Going Extinct
- Tell Missouri to Reject Abortion Bill
- Pressure the US Government to Clean Up Racist Air Pollution Practices
- Ask Swiss Lawmakers to Ban Eating Dogs and Cats
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
Safe, secure, clean abortion on demand should be accessible to all women.