This July, millions of Canadians saw the drastic and terrifying effects of the nationwide Rogers phone and internet outage. The outage impacted commerce, transit, and even access to essential services like 911. Surprisingly, only three companies (Rogers, Bell, and Telus) control 90% of the telecom market in Canada. Canadian law prohibits foreign ownership of a major telecom company, which has prevented any foreign cell phone company from upending the industry with cut-rate offerings, explains change.org.
“The problem with having that much power and control among only a couple telecommunication networks is that these outages are dramatic, severe, and they have a real impact on people and businesses,” said Daniel Tsai, law and technology professor at the University of Toronto.
Source: CBC News: The National/Youtube
We must tell regulators that Canada needs increased competition for mobile and internet services. Sign this petition to demand an end to the telecom monopoly that is putting Canadians at risk!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Demand States Tighten Firework Sale Restrictions
- Justice For 2,000 Cows Cooked to Death in the Heat of Kansas
- Ban Woman Who Set a Conscious Dog on Fire From Owning Animals Again
- Stand up for animals and end bullfighting
- Hold Costco Accountable For Mistreating Farm Animals
- Ban Gas Chamber Euthanasia In Utah
- Demand Full Sustainability From Amazon
- Fund Social-Emotional Learning Programs In Schools
- Research Superworm That Eats Trash & Reduces Plastic Waste
- Tell Biden To Remove Remaining Restrictions On Abortion Pills
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to theOne Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!