According to the World Health Organization, female genital mutilation (FGM) “consists of all procedures that involve partial or total removal of the external female genitalia, or another injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons.”
Female genital mutilation is considered a violation of the human rights of women and girls. Around the world, it is estimated that at least 200 million girls and women have undergone circumcision. This painful tradition is unacceptable and should be banned.
While all religions should be respected, it should be illegal for a practice to go against the fundamental freedoms of a human being. Sign this petition to tell Malaysia that their government has a responsibility to protect the rights of their women and girls.
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Turtles Are Getting Mysteriously Ill in Central Florida, and Scientists Need Help
- Stop People From Shooting Pets with Guns and Arrows in Louisiana
- Horse Owners Were Charged With Roughly 300 Counts of Animal Abuse
- Emily Was Brutally Beaten by Police for Drinking a Beer on the Beach
- Banks Are Funding Our Climate Destruction. They Must Divest Now
- Call on Congress to ban police from using phone data to spy on pregnant people
- Indigenous Women Were Forced Into Being Sterilized. Demand Justice
- Change Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples’ Day
- Delta Airlines Abandoned Five Million Honeybees-in-Transit to Die on a Hot Tarmac
- Demand Change From Shein
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!