The night before Transgender Day of Remembrance, a gunman murdered five people and injured over 25 people in an LGBTQ+ nightclub in Colorado Springs. In less than two minutes, the gunman opened fire before a brave person tackled and stopped him before he took more lives.
Source: NBC News/YouTube
This mass shooting is just the latest in the over 600 mass shootings that have happened just this year in the United States. This shooting came at a time when hateful anti-LGBTQ legislation is in talks, and the community is feeling the effects.
What’s worse is that law enforcement and prosecutors had the chance to possibly stop this from happening. The gunman was arrested last year after he threatened his mother with a bomb and other weapons. No charges were filed against the man, and Colorado’s red flag law was never used.
Now, the mass shooting is being investigated by the FBI, but we need to make sure that there is no oversight and that it is investigated for what it was: a hate crime. The gunman needs to be held accountable, and we need justice for the victims.
Sign this petition to demand the FBI investigate the shooting as a hate crime.
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Tell the Parliament of Canada to Protect the Tiny Burrowing Owl
- Tell Australia to Invest in Effective Animal Cruelty Prevention Laws
- Help the Rights of Nature Movement Protect the Amazon
- This Vile Pig Factory Was Finally Shut Down, Now the UK Needs to Fully Enforce Animal Welfare Laws
- Tell the Local Authorities to Require Counseling for Teen Animal Abuser
- Demand Investigation into the Kansas PD For Ignoring Evidence of a Racist Serial Killer for Months
- Tell the Chinese Government to Stop High-Rise Factory Farm That Will Slaughter 1.2 Million Pigs Each Year
- Demand the FBI Investigate the Colorado Mass Shooting at an LGBTQ Nightclub as a Hate Crime
- Tell the FDA to Finally Phase Out Animal Testing
- Tell States to Follow Massachusetts and Ban Throwing Away Clothing
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast Fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!