Slaughterhouses are traumatic places for all involved, so it was a huge shock when government officials discovered that Packer Sanitation Services (PSSI) was employing children in these dangerous and traumatic conditions at multiple processing facilities. It is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to work in a slaughterhouse on kill floors or with hazardous processing equipment.
Source: The Young Turks/YouTube
The allegations first began back in 2016 when a local police officer said that he was called to a local middle school because a 14-year-old girl had “injuries to her hands.” A report obtained by NBC News says the allegations were investigated as child abuse. A spokesperson for the Grand Island Police Department said that the injuries were from the child’s work at PSSI.
The resolution with the feds comes a month after the Department of Labor accused the company of employing at least 31 children on the graveyard shifts in slaughterhouses in three states. The children were reportedly told to clean the killing floors and various machines. According to the complaint, these machines included meat and bone-cutting saws and grinding machines. The report also states that at least three children suffered chemical burns.
According to the petition, PSSI allegedly interfered with the investigation by intimidating minor workers and influencing them not to cooperate with investigators. According to the Department of Labor, PSSI allegedly deleted and manipulated employment files to hide that they were employing minors and forcing them to work in horrific conditions.
Slaughterhouses are a horrible place to be, let alone for children to be working there. This company should be shut down and punished to the full extent of the law.
Sign this petition to demand the U.S. Department of Labor investigate all 700 processing facilities where Packer Sanitation Services, Inc. operate!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Free Two Beagle Puppies Who Are Facing Death in Police Custody
- Demand the DEA Revise the Opioid Regulation Strategy
- Pass New Bill That Would Help Hold Factory Farms Accountable
- Demand TikTok and Instagram Take a Firm Stance Against Animal Exploitation
- Demand Proper Oversight for Edmonton Zoo After Years of Welfare Concerns
- Tell Alabama to Ban the Death Penalty After Three Botched Lethal Injections
- Demand Shein Abide by Labor Laws and Stop Exploiting Workers
- Demand Investigation into Company That Employed Children at a Slaughterhouse
- Demand End to Legal Slaughter of Black Bears
- Protect Sharks From Extinction
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!