This week, the Supreme Court decided to overrule the Roe v. Wade decision, giving power back to states to regulate abortion rights. Many poor individuals and minorities will be affected by this ruling in Republican-controlled states in the South and Midwest. An analysis by the Guttmacher institute discovered that over half of the states may move to ban abortions, with 13 of them using “trigger bans” that will go into effect immediately.
Despite the ruling, a recent poll showed that two-thirds of Americans opposed overturning Roe v. Wade and less than 10% believe abortions should be prohibited in all circumstances. However, several of the laws that will go into effect will not permit abortions even in cases of rape or if the mother’s health is at risk.
Many people who want to get an abortion will still attempt to get one anyway, which may lead to dangerous procedures. There are several reasons why someone would choose to have an abortion. Some people aren’t financially stable, some are too young, and some may have physical health complications. Ultimately, people should have the right to do what they want with their bodies and have access to safe medical care.
Please sign this petition to demand Congress pass federal abortion protections now!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Shelters Are Overwhelmed With Animals People Dump After Easter
- Investigate School in North Carolina That Hosted a Mock Slave Auction
- Tell UPenn to Fire Professor Amy Wax For White Supremacist Remarks
- Demand The NBA Hire More Women as Coaches Next Season
- End Female Genital Mutilation in Malaysia
- Demand This High School Provide Resources For Survivors of Sexual Assault
- Charge Parents Who Give Kids Unsupervised Access to Guns
- Residents in Shanghai Are Locked In Their Apartments
- Pledge to Participate in No Mow May To Protect Bees
- Ban All Fur Trapping in the United States
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!