A law in Missouri says that a judge can delay divorce finalization if one of the parties is pregnant. This law keeps pregnant people locked in relationships regardless of any circumstances. According to the law, a custody agreement needs to be reached before a divorce happens, but custody agreements cannot happen or be placed until a child is born.
In the aftermath of the overturning of Roe V. Wade, this is especially terrifying as Missouri was the first state to outlaw abortion with zero exceptions after Roe v. Wade was overturned. These two forces are now working to trap pregnant people in the state into possible abusive and fatal positions.
Unfortunately, Missouri is not even the only state that has these misogynistic laws. Arizona, Arkansas, and Texas all have similar laws that take away these essential rights from a pregnant person. Leaving the decision up to states about freedom and autonomy is extremely dangerous! Congress has already codified marriage types into law, why haven’t they done the same for divorce rights?
Sign this petition to demand Congress codify the right to a divorce at any time, regardless of pregnancy status!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Charge Two Men Who Stabbed and Abused a Shark On Camera
- Demand Increased Budget For Classroom Resources and Salaries for Teachers
- Demand the UK Keep Farmed Animals Safe From Abuse
- Stop Authorities From Euthanising An 85-Year-Old Man’s Beloved Dog
- Demand Raise in Taxes for the World’s Billionaires
- Tell Bakersfield to Create Protocol for Finding and Shutting Down Illegal Kennel Operations
- Stop Billionaires From Buying Political Decisions
- Charge Jake Paul For Driving Through Protected Beaches for Endangered Turtle Nesting!
- Demand Investigation into Cruel Abusive Goat Farm
- Demand Florida Restore Healthcare for Trans People!
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on the App Store. With over 15,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!