A pregnant woman in Alabama was left stranded in limbo at a jail after police found marijuana on her during a routine traffic stop. Ashley Banks was honest about her use of marijuana the day she confirmed her pregnancy, although, before the confirmation, the state charged her with the chemical endangerment of a child.
Alabama policy made Banks remain in jail until she completed a drug-treatment problem, except she wasn’t qualified for the treatment at all because she was never addicted to drugs. The law, unfortunately, does not change based on individual assessment. So now, without eligibility to attend treatment, Banks was stuck in jail for three months while she suffered vaginal bleeding and high-risk pregnancy.
Sign this petition to call for Alabama to immediately fix this law that kept an innocent pregnant woman stuck in jail!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Demand Full Investigation into Veterinarian Who Beat Dog While His Son Recorded
- Demand Amazon Take Responsibility For Deaths After Selling “Suicide Bundles” to Teenagers
- Tell Romania to End Chinchilla Fur Farming
- Demand Action Against the Taliban, Which Won’t Let Girls Go to School
- Ban Animal Abuser Who Locked Up 665 Animals From Having Animals Ever Again
- Close Loopholes That Allow Lawmakers to Continue Insider Trading Without Consequence
- Call on the U.K. to Extend its Animal Welfare Laws to Fisheries
- Tell the USDA to Enforce Animal Welfare Act After A Bull’s Leg Was Crushed at a Bull Riding Event
- Demand Wealthy Countries Help Pakistan With Climate-Related Flooding
- Tell Australia that Kangaroos are Not Pets
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!