For many Indigenous peoples, Columbus Day is controversial considering that Columbus is viewed as a colonizer rather than a discoverer. From stealing lands away from native communities to destroying the land with oil and gas pipelines and polluting wildlife environments, the U.S. honors Columbus’ bloody legacy. Christopher Columbus never even stepped foot in North America, but he had everything to do with what the United States would become. South Dakota, became the first state to officially recognize Indigenous Peoples Day, and it’s time that all states follow their lead.
Source: VOA News/Youtube
Indigenous Peoples Day offers an opportunity for schools to rethink how they teach history, and to include the devastating impact of Columbus’ arrival on Indigenous peoples. Sign this petition demanding that all of the States in the United States change Columbus day to Indigenous Peoples’ Day!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Stop Germany From Killing “Excess” Laboratory Animals
- Prevent Animals and Children From Dying in Hot Cars
- Demand the British Parliament stop shipping refugees to Rwanda
- Urge Congress to pass strong gun control legislation
- Scrap policy preventing LGBTQ+ people from donating blood
- Punish Paul Gosar for blaming trans people for the Robb school shooting
- Tell the Senate to pass the Equality Act for Pride Month
- Protect the Blakiston fish owls’ habitat now
- Demand Justice For Four Wolves Poisoned by Poachers
- Tell Nike and Puma to stop selling kangaroo leather products
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!