Unfortunately, the world is not a very peaceful or safe place for many individuals. From conflict to abuse to exploitation, there is so much cruelty inflicted on both humans and animals. While this can get disheartening and difficult to hear about, petitions are a great way to use your voice for good. Just by signing one, you are a part of helping those who are not treated fairly. You can even share them with your friends and acquaintances to increase your impact.
Through petitions, we can reach those in power and demand justice for others. They are valuable tools for making positive changes in the world. If you are looking for a way to help animals and humans, here are 9 petitions you should sign this week, including Help Reduce Microplastic Pollution, Urge Congress to Protect Targeted Politicians, Demand World Leaders Help Save Endangered Emperor Penguins, and More!
We want to thank you for being the change you wish to see in the world and giving a voice to the voiceless.
1. Help Reduce Microplastic Pollution
A study was recently released that discovered microplastics in the breast milk of 75% of participants. On top of that, researchers didn’t find a correlation between eating or drinking from plastic containers and microplastics in breast milk, so the microplastics may come from many sources. Since there seems to be little we can do as consumers to avoid microplastics, we must call on our government to act. Please sign this petition to urge Congress and the EPA to help reduce microplastic pollution!
2. Pressure Brazil’s New President-Elect to Keep His Promises
Source: FRANCE 24 English/YouTube
Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva defeated far-right leader Jair Bolsonaro to become the new Brazilian President-elect. Many environmentalists and human rights groups are excited because Lula has made several promises to undo the damage that Bolsonaro caused. Some of this damage included pushing for mining and commercial farming in the Amazon rainforest and making offensive remarks about marginalized communities. Please sign this petition to keep the pressure on Brazil’s new president to keep his promises!
3. Never Let This Animal Abuser Have Animals Again
Source: WPBF 25 News/YouTube
A man in Florida tied a dog to his truck and dragged her across the pavement of a local roadway. Other drivers were honking to get his attention but he continued to drive on. Eventually, the man stopped his car, picked up the wounded dog, threw her into the back of his truck, and drove away. Authorities were able to arrest him and seize the dog, but more needs to be done to ensure something like this doesn’t happen again. Please sign this petition to demand authorities never let this man have an animal again!
4. Call on Italian Police to Investigate Murder of Nigerian Man as a Hate Crime
Source: Al Jazeera English/YouTube
In Italy, a disabled Nigerian man was beaten to death with his own crutches by a white Italian man as people looked on but did not intervene. Italian police have stated they will not investigate whether this incident was a hate crime. There have been many potentially racially-motivated murders in Italy over the years that haven’t been investigated, even after a case in which the murderers were using racial slurs against a man. Please sign this petition to call on Italian police to investigate this incident as a hate crime!
5. Tell Republicans to Stop Trying to Block the Student Loan Debt Relief Program
Source: Forbes Breaking News/YouTube
Many millions of people have applied for Biden’s student loan debt relief program, but Republicans are attempting to block it in court. Tuition has increased dramatically in recent years even as wages haven’t. This initiative will help relieve millions of Americans of all of their federal loan debt. Please sign this petition to tell Republicans to stop trying to block this important program!
6. Urge Congress to Protect Targeted Politicians
Source: NowThis News/YouTube
A man recently entered the home of Speaker Nancy Pelosi and hit her husband over the head with a hammer, which fractured his skull. The assailant was looking for Nancy and was planning to hold her hostage and potentially break “her kneecaps.” Earlier this year, Congress passed a bill to protect Supreme Court Justices’ family members after an armed man was seen outside the home of Brett Kavanaugh. Please sign this petition to ask Congress to protect targeted politicians too!
7. Pressure Ontario’s Government to Allow Educational Workers to Go on Strike
Source: CTV News/YouTube
Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s government has enacted legislation that would ban educational workers from going on strike. These workers are already vulnerable with such low wages and Ford’s government wants to strip them from being able to collectively bargain. This is undemocratic and shameful legislation. Please sign this petition to demand that it be withdrawn!
8. Call on Mexico’s Government to Protect the Tequila Splitfin Fish’s Habitat
Source: BBC News/YouTube
The tequila splitfin fish had all but vanished from the waters in Mexico by 2003 because of pollution, climate change, and non-native fish. Luckily, researchers were able to reintroduce this fish to their environment after domestication and re-education. These fish are very vital to the ecosystem and even eat mosquitoes who spread diseases. Please sign this petition to urge Mexico’s government to protect the tequila splitfin fish’s habitat!
9. Demand World Leaders Help Save Endangered Emperor Penguins
Emperor penguins have recently been added to the endangered species list as the loss of sea ice due to climate change has caused their populations to decline. As COP27 is currently taking place, we need to urge these world leaders to address how they’re going to protect this beloved species. COP meetings are notorious for not creating binding international agreements, but it is time for them to take meaningful action. Please sign this petition to urge these world leaders to help save emperor penguins!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!